Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal. I recently upgraded my front brakes to the Sn-95 5 lugs. I did this so I could install My R58 cobra R's. I have 245/45/17's up front.
I installed C springs. After the install I noticed that the drivers front sat lower than the pass front. I also noticed that the drivers front extended beyond the fender.
I am having rubbing issues on the drivers front. I barely can get my finger between the tire and fender.
At the time I found out that the car had two different struts on it. I also could not figure out why the drivers front sat so far out. I thought someone had put the wrong A arm on it.
So today I put a fox a arm on it with new front struts.
put the wheels back on no change at all.
The pass side looks great. Plenty of clearance an does not extend beyond the fender. But the drivers side is all FU**ed up.
I pull the wheels and looked at everything. I cannot find any difference between the sides.
I have tried a different spindle thinking I had gotten a 96 and up, but that is not the case.
I don't understand why it sits lower on that side and stickes so far out.
Anyone have any ideas. I don;t want to hurt my brand new tires and the rubbing is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Make a lot of measurements, not just eyeball. How are the offsets on the wheels? I have received wrong offsets before, lke one out of the four being wrong. Once I bought two rims, and they didn't match. Also, were the springs all the same? Did all the islolators get replaced? Maybe try swapping the tires in the front (if they are unidirectional, just try it to see.)

JL

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried swapping the wheels tonight and there was no difference. I did not replace the inslators. I guess I should do that. I wonder if one of the C springs is not holding up. I bought them new.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have had similiar experiences with Eibach springs. On one of my cars I put three sets before I finally decided to use some Steeda springs. That solved my problem.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may try to swap the springs from side to side. If they are the problem then I think I will swith to coil overs.
I still don't have a clue why the one side is out further than the other. It is out about .75"-1" further. Any ideas?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't see them in your sig, but did you install any kind of caster/camber plates, like those from Steeda? The reason I ask, is that they list at least 3 different options for installing a certain spacer collar depending on the length of your shock.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dumb question, but I don't suppose the thing has been wrecked has it? It could be out of alignment (not suspension....chassis alignment).

·
Registered
357 Posts
91fiveoh said:
Dumb question, but I don't suppose the thing has been wrecked has it? It could be out of alignment (not suspension....chassis alignment).
From reading his initial post, doesn't seem he had the problem until after he swapped brakes/springs.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No caster camber plates. I am not sure if the ar has ever been wrecked. I have owned it for about a year and a half. I have looked the car over and did not fin anything that stood out saying it was wrecked.
It used to have pony's on it. I swapped the wheels and brakes over about 2 months ago. This is when it became apparent the drivers side extends further than the pass side. at that point I thought I had gotten the wrong spindel (96 and up) so I swapped it to be sure. Still no change.
I then put the springs on and that is when the rubbing started and it sitting lower on that side.
Again I cannot find aything that would hint of a wreck or anthing out of wack. Yes the car needs aligned since I have don te brakes but I can't see that helping it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think i know your problem... It's how the springs are installed... first make sure your isolators are good. That can change things. Also make sure the springs are seated right. There is actually a notch for them in the a-arm bucket. If they are turned slightly, you actually change the spacing between the top and bottom... making one side different that the other... Buying different springs probably only helped because when they were isntalled the second time they just happened to be close enough to be the same. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the springs and they seem to be seated correctly . I wil try to get new insulators to install.
I can see how the springs would cause the different ride height but I don't understand the different spacing on the wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts