Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing my engine from my 5 speed '89 GT this weekend. I have already removed all accessories from the block and unbolted from mounts and tranny. Basically, it is ready to be pulled out. Having not done this before, do you guys have any tips for removing from bay with a cherry picker. Anything that I should know before proceeding. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm guessing you already removed the radiator, but besides that, I would just double check and make sure all your wiring is disconnected before you pull the motor. When you do pull it, take it up slow so you can remove and excess wiring harness that always seems to "hang" onto the engine when your trying to remove it. Slow and steady will win this race!!

Also, you might want to think about removing your hood to make life easier for you. It's not a neccesity, but for the 10 minutes it takes to remove, it can save you 45 minutes of swearing!!!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
An alternative to removing your hood, what I do is take a bungee cord or tie down strap, hook it to the top of the hood(by the latch, and stand the hood straight up and down. I hook one end to the hood, open the passenger window, and slam the door on the other end of the strap. Ive never had one let go, although i did have an old, dried up bungee strap break once so now i use a tie down strap.

·
Registered
258 Posts
When we pulled my 5.0/T-5 out of my hatchback, we used a load leveler to tip the rear (tranny end) of the motor/tranny down and pull the front end up...the tranny seemed to want to get snagged inside the transmission tunnel, and the leveler made things MUCH easier.

Like they said...remove hood, rad, and you should be good to go. It's surprisingly very easy.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I removed the hood on mine when I pulled the engine in the fall. Made it much easier to pull, and then easy to put back in. It is so much easier to work in the engine compartment without the hood there.

Rad and A/C condenser out, gives more room.

Double check all your connections, there is a ground on the back of the driver's side header, and on the front passenger side of the block.

Once everything is disconnected, pulling it is pretty easy!:joy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts