Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of MAC 1-3/4 Lontubes for my 91' GT Convertible.

I cannot for the life of me get the Passenger side in! :mad:

I clearenced the bellhousing as far as it can go,, heck there is already a small hole where I went into the bell itself.

Is the Convertible K-Member different then other cars? cause I even had a hard time with the drivers side.

I've tried hammering it in,, sliding it from underneath (worse then top) and no go. I cannot grind anymore off the bellhousing and its even a McLeod unit which is supposed to be better for fitment. worse yet I'm just trying to get it in to see if it fits then I want to take it back out to paint em.

I've got the motor jacked up to the point its hitting the firewall and the engine is pushed torwards the drivers side as far as it can go also. whats the deal?

I've added some pics below,, not the best but give you somewhat of a idea,, heck the starter isnt even in yet!:(

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Where exactly are your problem areas? I can't tell much from your pictures. From now on whenever I am installing a big tube type header on a car with an aftermarket bell, its getting done out of the car first. I spent 3 days working on my stahls to get them to fit, ground a bunch out of both sides of my stock K, and the lakewood bell, then had the trim the headers flanges to drop them down to line up the bolts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
can you remove any of the vacuum lines(vacuum tree) behind the intake on the firewall to be able to get the motor up a hair more. the motor will tilt alot, try pushing it to the side also.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same headers and to get the passenger side one in, I had the motor jacked up a TON and I pulled the motor mount out. With the motor mount out, it dropped right into place.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I finally got it to drop into place,, after lots of coffee and jacking the motor up to the point the wheels were off the ground!

BUT.. It still hits on the bellhousing at a point where I cannot grind it away, am I left with using the BFH device??

Hopefully these are some better pics.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I just dropped the tranny mount and let the tranny hang which tiled the motor all the way back to the firewall. My pass. side long tube just slipped right in! took about 5 mins

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The second pic make my engine look like ****, all the shaving material and the scrathed up to hell valve covers because of the longtubes.. good thing I didnt have my chrome ones on yet.

I just dont see how they are gonna fit unless I take a hammer to the tubing and crush it,, kinda not the point to headers if you ask me.

Think I'll just have to see if I can bolt it down while it hits the bellhousing,, dunno what else to do,, wonder if exhaust shop can rebend it somehow.

Brad

·
Registered
437 Posts
I learned this the hard way. The easiest way to do this is to have the motor jacked all the way up and take the valve cover off. It looks like it wouldnt help but you would be surprised that it will drop right in with the valve cover off.
Jonathan

·
Registered
713 Posts
i dont want to beat a dead horse if you did this already, but
once you lower your motor they should fit, when the motor
is jacked up they wont fit right yet. but i do have a 5sp. and 1 5/8
mac headers, lakewood bell. i didnt have to do any modifications just slipped right in took about 10 minutes to install, with the new bellhousing.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well actually they wont fit with the engine in the lowered bolt down position,, as you can see by the second pic that I have like 1 inch to go in order to have the flange touch the head and the #2 pipe is hitting against the bellhousing stopping the headers from fitting flush.

Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts