Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I bought a roller with the sway bar brackets cut off. Terrible... i know.

I want to fix this, and ordered sway bar bracket replacements from LMR a couple years ago.

How do I know what the stock location of the brackets was? Any tips on getting this back on?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I thought the brackets are bolted to the frame.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The brackets are spot welded and they have a lot of welds. You are going to have to do plug welds to get them attached to the frame.

Also, just find someone with a fox and take a tape measure and measure where they sit in relation to the core support. A tenth of an inch or two isn't going to matter I wouldn't think.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
1978-82 Fox chassis cars had these brackets bolted to the frame rail. As the front swaybar got larger and larger over the years, Ford changed to a welded on bracket. This has always been a few poorly designed area of the Fox chassis. Ford finally fixed it with the SN95 chassis.

When you weld the brackets on, don't measure to the core support. That dimension is irrelevant. Measure to the center of the front upper k-member bolt.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice... I dont know if I trust my kmember location as a measurement. Is the front upper kmember bolt location consistent regardless of kember choice?

I can't figure out who makes my kmember. UPR tech support says its QA1, QA1 tech support says its UPR. Pics attached. Remember this car was purchased as a roller.

Is there any information documented that can help me figure out if my K member retains stock engine location and stock wheelbase?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
A longtime ago I read that the Black K-members are made from Mild Steel and those were built by UPR. The Silver ones are 4130 and built by QA1. Both of these are sold by UPR. Again, this is something I read but I'm not sure how true it is.

ks

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
The front k-member upper frame rail bolt is located by the hole in the frame rail, so is the best possible location to use to locate the front swaybar mounting brackets.

If you want to know if the k-member installed on your car moves the wheels forwards, set the car at ride height and measure the distance between the front and rear hub centers to measure the wheelbase. This will require two people.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's looking like 101.5 inches, does this sound correct?
How do I measure front track width?

Jack- thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Stock Fox wheel base is 100.5". It definitely appears that the FCAs and/or k-member have moved the front wheels forward 1" or so.

Trackwidth is a lot more complicated to measure, because it varies with ride height.

Remove both front wheels from the car. Put jacks under both FCAs and raise them until the FCAs are parallel to the ground. Measure the distance from one wheel mounting face on one rotor to the wheel mounting face on the opposite rotor.

What year spindles are on the car?

What year, model and submodel front brakes are on the car?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock Fox wheel base is 100.5". It definitely appears that the FCAs and/or k-member have moved the front wheels forward 1" or so.

Trackwidth is a lot more complicated to measure, because it varies with ride height.

Remove both front wheels from the car. Put jacks under both FCAs and raise them until the FCAs are parallel to the ground. Measure the distance from one wheel mounting face on one rotor to the wheel mounting face on the opposite rotor.

What year spindles are on the car?

What year, model and submodel front brakes are on the car?
Hey Jack,

How can i confirm if arms alone will fix this? If track width changed, would it be visible to the naked eye? It appears to be correct... What should the measurement be rotor face to rotor face?

This is exhausting... I feel like I have to change everything about this car to make it what I want.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
With the front suspension at ride height, that distance is going to be 59.66". The suspension must be at ride height. If it is higher or lower, then the brake rotors will be pulled inwards by the arc of the FCA and the measurement will be less.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the front suspension at ride height, that distance is going to be 59.66". The suspension must be at ride height. If it is higher or lower, then the brake rotors will be pulled inwards by the arc of the FCA and the measurement will be less.
Forgot to answer your other questions. SN95 spindles, 03 cobra brakes, calipers, rotors.

I have 250lb front springs, bilstein struts (recommended by your tech line at MM). Trying to put the handling back in the car.

I need to verify the sway bar brackets will not interfere with my turbo manifiolds because of this kmember. There was no issue on my last car with this same turbo kit, with my stock kmember and control arms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts