Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was messing around with my starter because the car didnt start (It would just click everytime I would try to get it started). Then it started for a second and after that, ALL the power went out. The battery was dead out of no where. Now I took my buddies optima and everytime I try to put the negative on it sparks like a motha. There has to be a bad short somewhere right? A friend told me I should take the starter off and get it tested, to make sure the selenoid is working properly. Please somebody give me some advice, I want to get my car moving.

p.s. after the car started for a split second I got the battery checked and they said it needs to be replaced. It was only 2 months old :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

PLEASE HELP

Thank You

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try disconnecting the starter at the solenoid on the firewall. Then connect the battery does it still spark badly. If it does try disconnecting the alternator, then connect the battery if you still get a bad spark then its somewhere else in the electrical system.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
the solenoid could be hung...or something i would try like said to unbolt the starter and see........ then the solenoid....my guess is it is the solenoid

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the exact same problem a few months back. A new soloniod fixed the problem.
If the starter is drawing to many amps it can cause the terminals of the solonoid to melt together and it "sticks". Keep that in mind if you have anymore problems.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Heres a funny story.

At work we had this beater caravan with a 3.3 that we just got done doing front calipers/hoses/rotors/ yadayada, i get in to drive it out and tell my boss it has a bad starter, click click click click and then it would engage. we had to put it in the shop over night so i hopped in and turned it on and got a loud griding noise coming from the motor, the starter didn't disengage, i throw it into park and thake the keys out, its still winding the motor. So i pop to hood and NAIL the solenoid with a prybar, still no deal, so i run and disconnect the battery, hopeing that maybe after its disconnected it will disengage. still was spinning.

If your starter was clicking something was wrong with the solenoid and that is more than likely where your draw is coming from. Why would you test a starter when you have enough money to run a AFR/FTI combo. Replace the starter. Check for draw(disconnecting the negative and using a test light between the terminal and batter post) and be done with it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out my starter tommorow. Ill keep you guys updated.

Later

1 - 7 of 7 Posts