Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the oxygen tube necesary to have hooked up? the pipe that feeds air to the cats. what is the purpose of it? my friend has an 88 LX and his is not even on there and his car runs fine. i have an o/r h-pipe and a shop was swapping out the o/r with the stock one so i could get it smogged and they said you need to have it. its not a muffler shop and they dont have a welder so they couldnt swap out the pipes.

this probably doesnt make sense, thats what i get for not sleeping though and then taking my car to try and have something done to it. my luck sucks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have cats, you need it. If you don't have it, the cats overheat and stop working.

If you have no cats, you don't need it. I think you can undo the smog pump too, but I haven't done it so what do I know?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just put my off road h pipe on yesterday and i just welded a bolt inside the tube to close it off. no cats=dont need it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The tube feeds air to the cats to get them hot enough to "light off" in order to oxidize any unburned fuel and keep the catalist hot enough to scrub the exhaust. It is not there to cool the cats, but just the opposite. The only thing that disconnecting the air line will do is degrade the performance of the catalyst in cleaning the exhaust.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well, put it this way... What if you have the oxygen tube removed, but not closed? IT doesn't make any noise by sucking in air. It should still work the way it's intended, right?

·
Registered
374 Posts
i have my pump still hooked up for the time being and i have the tube on the h-pipe plugged, but the one to the pump isnt, its just open there pumping air under the car, it doesnt make any noise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so would i be able to put the stock pipe on and run without the pipe hooked up long enough to take it and get it smogged? or would it not clean the exhaust good enough to pass smog.

atleast now i know when i put the h-pipe back on i dont need to worry about welding the pipe back on.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Since you live in the "Peoples Republic of California" you will have to have all your smog equipt in place and working to pass a Cal smog check. California has a visual inspection, and a performance inspection. If the smog tech sees that you don't have a smog pump, or it's not hooked up, he can fail you. Infact, if you fail the visual part of the inspection, you won't even be given the opportunity to pass the sniffer test.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok well here is what i plan on doing....
find a way to cut the pipe and swap the stock one back on and then get a rubber tube and some clamps and hook it up that way. go pass smog, then swap the h-pipe back on and find some kind of a plug to plug the oxygen tube.

what should i use to cut through the pipe? it is like 3/4" round or something like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts