Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, this is my first time posting here.

Right now im in the process of rebuilding a friends 72 camaro. Working on his car has been making me think of working on a car myself. I want to get a 86 - 91 mustang with a 4banger in it. Rip it out and throw in a 351w. Any suggestions on the year that I should get? Out of 86 - 91 any particular models better?

Thanks all, Nate

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Since you're going to be ripping out the driveline anyway then really it comes down to asthetics, what floats yer boat? The '86's were the last year for the quad headlight front ends and are pretty coveted in GT trim although a 5 L coupe would look pretty sharp. If you like the aero noses then go for the '87-'93 models. There were minor changes on the interiors in '90, namely the introduction of a driver air bag and Ford dropping the tilt column until the SN-95 cars. This was also the first year a truely black interior could be spec'd out on a fox since the early 80's. Pretty much everything else under the chassis is the same. Good luck.

Carson

·
Registered
351 Posts
get a coupe b/c they are the lightest.
i got all power options on mine but if i had it to do over again i'd look for NO power options.
choose the year based on your personal preferences since you will have to change the entire drivetrain anyhow. 91+up had the larger wheelwell inserts to make room for the 16" rims (not sure about the 4cyl version though) and i believe 90+up had the air bag. other than that if you get a 4cyl car it really won't make a difference. however if you get a car that was originally a 8cyl go for an 87up model because they had the 8.8" rear and the larger brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The main reason im lookin for a 4cyl is to keep the cost of the car down. If i run across a v8 cheap then i would jump on that. Ive seen many 4cy at auctions go for around $200 so that would put me even closer to buying my engine. Interiors dont matter to me too much. It will all be custom when I get done with it anyway.

I used to drive a 91 5.0 lx vert. Loved it, but it was my college car and had sooo many problems. Also sense I was a student I didnt have any cash to fix it up so it went downhill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts