Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just spent 200 bux for the local shop to put it in, I had all the parts laid out in the trunk. ( all that was in the car was the engine, no trannie hooked up to it or exhaust) Reason being that I wasnt confident I could do the round out on the Lakewood Bellhousing. All parts except for the pilot bearing, which I told him I wanted a new one. The guy said he would check it to see if it was good and if not replace it. :confused: I forgot to ask if he did or not on Thursday. So i pick up the car and bring it home, let it sit Friday because I needed to get a driveshaft because the old trannie ate the slip yoke alive. So on Saturday, I went to Mustangs Unlimited and bought one. 180 bux with tax. So I get home and put her back together and go to start her and I find out that the starter grinds a lil when you start it.... Almost seems like it is too close to the flywheel. :confused: So I take it for a lil ride and it all feels good except when I hold it in second at 3k, it has a vibration, almost like a universal joint on its way out. So I pull over and stop. Rev it upto 2-3k and it vibrates :livid: Let it idle down and got to 5k. Vibrates worse. WTF It does it with the clutch in and out. I gave him a new throwout bearing too.

My 3 guesses are ONE that the starter is not disengagueing all the way and spinning with the flywheel. TWO they did not put in a new pilot bearing. THREE that the harmonic balencer is not good. Granted it does have a lil and I mean lil play when I watch it spin, but it did not do this b4 I had the work done (the vibration)

SO what do you all think I should try to do besidees the obvious and bring it back to him. But the reason I went with him is because he builds low 9 second cars, so i though that my car would be a stroll in the park. HMMMMM I also wonder if he did actually check the round out..... Would that cause my vibration ?

PLEASE GIMME SOME POINTERS, I WANNA DRIVE HER :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Lets see, You did not do the work yourself, and paid someone to do it. WHy are you trying to figure out the problem.. Take it back to those guys..
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yo Dave whats up?

Well 1st, i kinda have a similiar but not quite the same issue... just a vibration at a certain rpm (happens to be around cruising speed) It has a couple other quirks, but all in all, after a new tranny, ds, and all 4 wheels being balanced etc, i've come to the conclusion its either the pilot bushing, or the clutch isnt very well balanced (****ty clutch)

So with that said, i would probably venture a guess thats its a pilot bushing, since i remember you saying you have a good clutch in there.

As for the starter, its not shimmed correctly, and your right, its too close to the fly wheel. As for staying engauged, it would make a lot more noise that it does if it was staying engauged. :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Clutch alignment dowels on the flywheel. If it was a new flywheel, then they don't come with these. But a guy who builds 9 second cars should know that...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I've been fighting a vibration since i converted from AODE to tremec. Mine it comes in around 3K and is worst at 4500RPM. It does it in any gear, or in neutral, while stopped and while driving. No one can tell me what it is. It has a new balancer and motor mounts, flwheel was a new FMS and i put the dowels in and it's a spec clutch. I have it narrowed down to either i knocked the inner race out of the pilot bearing installing the trans, or defective flywheel or clutch. She's going in to All Mustang on tue to get fixed up. I'll post what they find. Good luck

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The flywheel and clutch are from my old 84 which had the 10 inch flywheel. I also got a Centerforce clutch.

I just wanted to drive it but i guess the smart ting to do is bring it back..... i really hate doing that but i will :eek:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hamden Automitive in Hamden, lol.

I just got done with an 8 page paper on African Leaders so i am gunna go peek around at it

·
Registered
311 Posts
A good buddy of mine has the exact same problem. He just installed a Tremec, with McCleoud bellhousing, and he has a 10" Centerforce DF. Same crap, new motor mounts, tried repostioning the clutch, no luck. Anybody, let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Could be a cracked clutch disk too. I bought a 86gt that had a bad vibration like you describe. The person I bought it from did a clutch and used the bolts to pull the tranny in and cracked the disk. Just an idea.
mike.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
can't be cracked clutch disk in my case. I know because if i am stopped, i press the clutch put it in first and hold the pedal down while i rev it still does it, but not nearly as bad as when I'm driving. In that situation the disk would not be moving since the trans is in gear.

I have also heard of several others with this problem

Can't wait till tue to find out what it is and get her fixed!:mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dave- Upon chattin with you online, i think that it might be a case where it wasnt rounded correctly. I forgot the mustang starters are not shimmed. Sounds to me it needs to be rechecked, and aligned...

Steve

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
UPDATE

Found out today my problem was caused by my driveshaft youke bottoming out in the tailshaft, bacause I used a driveshaft spacer the 94/95s supposedly needed :mad:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wel I brought it back and I got the typical bull ****.... well could be one of a million things... blah blah blah :livid: I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT that dont back up there **** :livid: but he did say that it may be the pilot bearing, since he left the old one in :mad: WTF he said it was ok....... so yesterday I took out the whole damn thing and am in the process of trying to get the old pilot bearing out... n e suggestions ? ? ? ? If this aint it then I am guna get a new harmonic balencer :( So I guess Romac it is......

·
Registered
6 Posts
dude, it aint the harmonic balancer... that has nuthing to do with a vibration. It dampens vibrations caused by the combustion in relation to the balnced rotating assy. The motor is internally balanced. Its not a problem with the balancer.

As for getting the old pilot bushing out, the ones i had to take out were all pretty much destroyed (damn t-5's) I would suggest maybe finding a bolt to try threading into it, and try pulling it with a dent puller or such. Pretty much feel free to mutilate it, as long as he crank stays untouched andwith no damages ur all good.

Make sure you get that bellhousing aligned right, i really think thats ur problem, if the pb doesnt help.

Steve

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Dude go to autozone or checker and rent a pilot bearing puller for free and it'll take you like 2 seconds. My balancer had just a little bit of wobble to it so i put a new one on and it wasn't my problem either. Also i heard that you only have to check bellhousing runout on the lakewood bellhousing because they aren't manufactured precise enough. I heard that if you use an aluminum bellhousing such as FMS or TTC-Tremec (thats what i have) then you don't need to check the runout. Maybe this is wrong? I wouldn't think a few thousandths off would make a big difference since there's a little play in the input shaft but maybee I'm wrong???

·
Registered
665 Posts
If the runout of the bellhousing is over .005" you're asking for trouble. Even if it doesn't vibrate a lot, you'll get premature wear in the transmission bearings, and sometimes weird shifting problems. Regardless of brand of bellhousing, it needs to be checked.

Not only can the bellhousing be cast a few thousandths off, it can also be machined a few thousandths off. Same for the engine block at its mating surface. So can the mounting flanges of the transmission, for that matter. If the runout happens to stack up in the same direction on two or more of these components, you're going to have the miseries.

Always use a dial indicator to check the concentricity of the input shaft hole in the bellhousing against the flywheel centerline. Offset dowel pins are available if adjustment is necessary. Don't be surprised to find an error of .020" or more in many cases.

This process compensates for any casting or machining error in both the block and the bellhousing.

Steve A.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I fixed my problem.... I changed out the Harmonic balencer and the pilot bearing.... what a ***** to get out the pilot bearing..... I hadda use brute force because no one had a puller and the grease method wouldnt work to save my life.... But the car pulls like a mofo now. I love the new trannie, BUT is it supposed to feel a lil notchy ? ?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've had mine in for about 500-600 miles and it is still a little notchy. Remember, you're shifting alot bigger gears too. I'm happy with mine:cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
buddy's car

the car is a 88 lx with a 306. new balancer, new rear end, new driveshaft, new tremec tko, new mcloed bell housing, new valeo pressure plate, new mcloed dual purpose disc, new balancer. OLD PILOT BEARING. My vibration starts at 3000 RPM, and goes away at about 4500 RPM. I will replace the bearing this week and let all of you know. other than that, I love this clutch set-up. very drive-able, yet capable of alot of clamping force. the pedal feels great, not to stiff.

P.S. We think it's the pilot bearing...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts