Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i didnt get very many responses about my 96 cobra having the diesel sound..

Does anyone haven any idea what it would be?

My buddy is a mechanic at ford and thinks that a plastic retainer on the chain thath drives the cams is broken... has anyone heard about this happening?? Also do you think it could be the valvetrain???I have heard of that happening to 2V but dont know if ive heard of the 4V having thta problem..

let me know what you guys think, its kind of a hurry, sorry, but we are workin on my car in like an hour

thanks alot guys

chris

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes ticking sounds, but its not just from one side, sounds like beneath valve covers, but then again towards the front too

any idea??

chris

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any ideas guys? im hurting bad....please post some more suggestions cuz i dont want to go into this blind......i need to know some places to look for problems

thanks

chris

·
Registered
521 Posts
a rocker arm could have fallen off. i've seen this twice, one on a N/A car and one on mine S/C. but the noise only came from the side the arm came off of. maybe you have two off, but that would be very odd.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply, ill keep that in mind, i might be stupid for asking this, but i didnt know 4v at rocker arms, because they arent pushrod motors....i dno got me, thats why i got the ford mechanic workin wit me:D

keep em comin guys

thanks

chris

·
Registered
521 Posts
yeah they have rockers. the cam pushes on the rocker which then pushes on the valve. hopefully this is your problem because it should be easy to fix as long as nothing is damaged. good luck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
46cobraguy said:
Hey guys, i didnt get very many responses about my 96 cobra having the diesel sound..

Does anyone haven any idea what it would be?

My buddy is a mechanic at ford and thinks that a plastic retainer on the chain thath drives the cams is broken... has anyone heard about this happening?? Also do you think it could be the valvetrain???I have heard of that happening to 2V but dont know if ive heard of the 4V having thta problem..

let me know what you guys think, its kind of a hurry, sorry, but we are workin on my car in like an hour

thanks alot guys

chris
Im glad I saw this post. I had the exact same diesel sound - fooled every mechanic in town (and out of town). They all thought it was internal engine damage. Turns out it was my main aftermarket pulley crank wasnt torqued properly and had loosened up/ I noticed you have pullies in your sig - probably the same issue as I had. The bolts have to be torqued with a torque wrench to a minimum 105ftlbs! Also, the bolts are TTY, so a new one should be used every time the pulley comes off. Let me guess - you have Steeda UD pullies correct?

peace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts