Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I was out driving my car and everything was fine. Ran into the store to get a few thing and when I was leaving I noticed my water temp was creeping toward 210*. It never goes past 180* normally. So I pull over and I notice my electric fan is not on. I let it sit for about 45 mins then head home. It never went past 210*. Once home I got out my PowerProbe and put power to fan motor and fan came right on. So then I checked my relay do a/c and relay for fan controller and both those seem to be fine (I got resistance) so then I turn the controller knob and can hear it click but don't really know how to check it out. I tried using a heat gun to heat the probe and still fan didn't come on. I checked my online fuses and fuse box fuses and all those were fine.

I don't know what to do from this point on. I don't want to by a new controller and throw $50-$100 down the drain. Any suggestions? My controller is the flexalite one with the knob.

I'd like to know how to correctly check it so I can eliminate it or not. I have 12v power coming to it I do know that.

Thank you.

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
the relays are good?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can I check them? I took my multimeter and got resistance so I assumed they are working. Went to AutoZone a bought a new one and swapped it out between the two and no difference.

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
you apply 12volts to the coil and check for continuity through the switched contacts.

some relays have both normally open and normally closed contacts.

some only have normally closed or normally open.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terminal 85 ground
Terminal 86 positive
Terminal 87 & terminal 30 = .2ohms on my fluke digital multimeter. I can here contacts click when I hooked 85 & 86 to my battery

GOOD or BAD?

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
Forget ohm value

Contacts are closed

Now remove power to coil and check contacts

If OL than it is working

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get "OL" when I check it with out it connected to the battery + & -

So I guess it's good then huh? I don't know what else it could be.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do I check the controller?
It has 3 prongs one goes to ground and the other two are next to each other. When I turn the knob I hear a click but can't tell if it's picking up temperature or not.

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
the controller controls the relay, NO?

when its at temp, for the fan, is the relay getting powered

yes.....relay, wire or fan no good

no.....temp probe, controller, wiring to relay is no good...

get out there, and check for CONTROL power at the relay, when you know the fan should come on.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I turn ignition ON I have power going to relay even when car is COLD.

When u said remove power to coil and check ohms do I leave grind still connected or does it not matter?

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
put the damn ohm meter away

volt check

you are checking voltage with system normally running

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANK YOU very much for all your help. Ended up being the controller.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.