Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in cuz I thought the alternator was going bad...(lights dimming, stereo cutting out, guages dimming...etc.)

Anyways, turns out my alternator is ok and that I have a short somewhere in my car...

They told me that I need to take it to an auto electric place and that they didn't do it...

But he said it could be as simple as a fuse thats almost ready to blow or wires crossing that shouldn't...

The auto electric place he recommended is also the one my friend recommended, but they charge 150 just to check the car over... :rolleyes: :mad:

What should I do?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
First thing I would check is the ground staps from the engine to the frame. They may be coming loose. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Electrical problems are any owners worst nightmare. I have seen people spens thousands trying to figure some out. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
first off, disconnect your system main power wire, your stereo fuses, and the factory stereo deck fuses.

Disconnect the power wires going to the nitrous kit, (pull fuses, if you installed them)

Get a multimeter and disconnect the - terminal of the battery, Connect the multimeter, in DC amp setting, between the - terminal of the battery, and the - battery cable.

Then post the readings for us to look at.

If the value is low, less than 2 amps, connect the stereo back up, and see if it changes, with the car off, it should have mininal change, (ie, .05 amps or so) Post the findings. Connect the n20 back up, and see if it changes.

Any other custom electrical work done to the car, check it all over with a fine tooth comb.

Ryan.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Make sure you use a fused 10A range on your multimeter. If there is a serious electrical problem the battery can supply way more current that your meter can handle and it may fry your meter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
good point...

My test leads that i use i installed a 10 amp fuse inline, so i always forget about mentioning that.

Ryan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts