Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I was in heavy traffic for and hour, moving almost no where in about 85-90 degree weather. All of a sudden smoke started to pour out from under my back seat, so i pull over and immediatly shut it down. Ironically the reason for the traffic was that another car completly went up in flames, and luckily there was a firetruck right next to me. They ripped up the back seat and took a fire estinglisher to the bottom foam of the seat.....a big chunk burned away but no real damage thank God. I'm guessing what happend is that my muffler got so hot it heated up the metal floor which got the seat hot enough to burn away. The reason why it got so hot is that im running with 3 cylinders which I think makes the car run hot, and on top of that I'm running rich so it was probably an inferno in the muffler. My question is, is there any fire proof insulation I can put inbetween the floor and the seat??? and where can I get some so I won't be burnt to a crisp next time... :mad: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Maybe the solution is to try not to run on 3 cylinders??

I seriously doubt this was caused by exhaust heat. I've NEVER seen that before. It almost would have had to of been electrical..

--Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know the new engine is in the process.....I have a battery cable running back there but it wasnt close to where it caught on fire so that can't be the problem......i feel the floor under the seat after a short trip and its hot, so i can imagine how hot it got after 1hour traffic...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,554 Posts
How about....don't drive it till ya get the new motor in? Your cats may have caused the problem, if they are still in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
You got power seat????? Ford has the problem on power seat ciruit under the seat. Check it out will ya. It is under recall few years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I do have power seats, but where it burnt under the seat...there was no wiring. Think if I get like a fire blanket and put it inbetween the seat and the metal floor that would help, i mean they can't catch on fire? o well i still think its from exhaust heat...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Well, if you must, check out Mcmaster.com

They sell ceramic blanket. This stuff can insulate like you would not believe.

I used a 1" blanket to drop 300 degrees Farrenheight in an industrial application. THey sell 1/4, 1/2 etc...

very light stuff too.

PS cary a fire extinguisher....just in case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
just pull out the seat til the motor goes in.

arron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks for the info guys i think ill do a combo of taking the seat out and getting that blanket just in case.......I really need my B50 to be built fast..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
smoking

Sure no one tossed a cigarette in your ride ? We have 90 + dg weather year round and ive never seen that happen.

Oh well good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure no one tossed a cigarette in your ride ? We have 90 + dg weather year round and ive never seen that happen.
lol, im pretty sure about that......ive had my car for 2 years and have been in worse traffic and in warmer weather and that hasn't happend. It's probably the superchargers fault for making the car run much hotter along with the other things I mentioned.....I'm sure I won't have this problem with the new motor and tune, and if i do maybe a new radiator will help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,962 Posts
engine temperature is not really gonna effect exhaust heat, I mean the coolant temp, Exhaust temperature is super hot no matter what the temperature is outside and no matter how your car is running, they say the Cats get to 1600 deg when hot I have personally seen them set grass on fire on a lowered car, You exhaust pipe had to touch the bottom of the car you need to check that and stop being so defient to everyones advice, I dont believe and I think most people will agree with me it has nothing to do with how the car is running:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
engine temperature is not really gonna effect exhaust heat, I mean the coolant temp, Exhaust temperature is super hot no matter what the temperature is outside and no matter how your car is running, they say the Cats get to 1600 deg when hot I have personally seen them set grass on fire on a lowered car, You exhaust pipe had to touch the bottom of the car you need to check that and stop being so defient to everyones advice, I dont believe and I think most people will agree with me it has nothing to do with how the car is running
Well first of all it wasnt my cats that caused the fire, if anything it was the mufflers cause they are right underneath there...you were probably just using the cats as an example though. the only reason why I think it was from running hot is because I have had the same exhaust setup for like 2 years so I dunno why it would all of a sudden cause this? So thats why I think its because of my car running hotter, the first time i get into traffic in hot weather this happens.....i dunno i guess it could be a coincidence. but ill have to check to see if any exhaust is touching.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top