Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a (used) MSD 6BTM, car starts and runs fine upto exactly 1/2 the soft touch rev limit. I tried the 6000 soft touch and the car started to cut out at 3000. So I put in the 7000 soft touch and the car started to cut out at 3500. Any idea what is going on?

Thanks.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,393 Posts
The "cylinder select device" is set up for a four cylinder. What was it installed in before you got it, a honda? As far as the 6 AL goes, the cylinder select is accomplished by cutting a red and a blue wire under the black button on the side of the unit. It's probably the same on the BTM.

From the MSD instalation instructions; "Remove the phillips screw on the cover of the Cylinder Select Device to set the unit for 4 or 6 cylinders."

8 cyl Do not cut any loops
6 cyl Cut only the red loop
4 cyl Cut both the red and blue loops

BTW, how are your soldering skills?

But then again, the RPM modules should not be affected???
:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Don't know for sure what the unit was in. I'll have to look under the phillips head tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SSSTANG nailed it. Sure enough the wires had been sniped to make the MSD 6 BTM run on a four cylinder. My soldering skills are passable. It now revs all the way to 6000. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts