Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Cobra and am planning on getting some new stuff. I race my car about once a month in the summer in a all mustang class. I presently have a bassani catted x pipe,tri-ax shifter,steeda U/D pulleys, and I use nitto drag radials on my stock cobra rims. I am staying N/A and so far have run a best of 13.6 @ 104 with a 2.1 60ft. I really would like to see a twelve this year. What should I do to accomplish my goal. I thought of JBA shortys because I am unsure of longtube legality in NY State. And also because I already have the bassani. But if it is worth it I would love a set of longtubes. I want to replace axles of some kind,trac lok of some kind,4.30 gears FMS. I have a friend to help me install everything. I am looking for the best bang for the buck but dont want to be cheap with anything either. Basically I just need ideas to get the most out of my car but staying naturally aspirated.

Slim

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gears and sticky tires are your best bet for 12s. Anything less than a locker will not hold up to drag strip launches. I recommend a detroit locker, moser 31 spline axles, and 4.30 or 4.56 gears. I haven't really seen a huge difference between short and long tube headers. Cosby ran the shorties and did just fine.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'd say to get a set of lakewood Lift Bars when you install the 4.30s..gonna need the traction....those and some long tubes, you should be seeing 12.9s pretty easily I'd think....

Did you change your mufflers yet? That's a simple 'bang-for-the-buck' driveway mod.

Good luck...

VAiN

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I kept the stock mufflers and catback on my 96 cobra while a friend changed the mufflers AND catback on his 98 cobra. His elapsed times did not increase any over my car's ets due to a muffler and catback change.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I picked up 32rwhp/21rwtq by adding BBK LT's, Steeda pulleys, and the Full Densecharger CAI/powerpipe kit. I switched my flowmasters out for Magnaflow mufflers, but I doubt there is much if any HP to be had when staying N/A.

I picked up .7 sec with the above mods and some worn out drag radials. My 60ft times only dropped about .2 sec with the addition of the DR's, so that means I picked up about .3 sec from the mods... give or take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts