Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone-

I need some help choosing a tire for the REAR Pony's on my 91 LX AOD. (Pony's are 16x7 inch wheels). Since I have 3:73 gears, I want a taller than stock tire to help with fuel economy (and the speedo which reads 5 mph high). Plus I like the jacked in back look with meatier tires.

I just bought 235/60/16 Toyo Proxes TPT's on the recommendation of the fellow at Kauffman tire, but they are squirrely as hell just cruising on the highway at 70 mph. The 235's corrected the speedo pretty much, but my fuel economy actually got worse! They were inflated to 35 psi. I will be returning them and putting the old Kelly Charger 225/55/16's on until I find a suitable tire for what I'm looking for.

On my 86 GT 5-speed, I have Dunlop GT Qualifiers 245/60/15 on Turbines and the car handles solidly while getting 27 mpg on the highway with the stock gears. Unfortunately, it seems there are far fewer choices for 16" wheels (I have already searched etires, tirerack, etc).

What tires have you had good results with on Pony rims? Remember I want taller (60 series or more) not just wider. Has anyone tried the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 or Dunlop SP Sport A2 (235/60/16)? What about a 65 series tire or 245's? (I am ok with the speedo reading low to get the RPM's down).

I won't be taking the car to the track (except to watch John Force or the NMRA), so I am not looking to go in the Drag Radial direction. Looking for solid handling, economy and burlier than stock look.

Any help is much appreciated!

Tom - bigred302

·
Registered
386 Posts
Maybe you can look at the 255/50-16 tires (search on tirerack.com) - they will give you about a 26.1" total height (compared to 25.75 stock). I really like the Firestone Firehawk SZ50's (read the reviews, I am not the only one). I think you can squeeze a 255 on the 7" inch rims - it may bulge out a little and look goofy, but should be safe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts