Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a set of slicks for my car, but i dont want to launch it to hard in fear of breaking something but what eles can i do to help my times. i was thinking a set of lakewood 90/10s and 50/50s for the rear. would i benfit from drag springs or no. i was thinking of mabey saving for a new k member and a coil over kit. Is this setup suitable for street driving or should come up with a new plan? any ideas will help. im pretty sure i will get 4 30s and axels mabey a new posi but im not sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Drag radials :cool:

Sticky enough to handle a fairly agressive launch, but they'll spin before you break anything.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I used to be all witholding like that with my car.

Nevermind the drag radials, get some slicks and launch it hard, powershift the entire way down the track.

Take no prisoners.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I'd put the money into the rear end first, then maybe tranny upgrades before k members and coil-overs. 31 spline axles and a good differential along with the gears would be my first mod.

With a solid rear you should be able to leave hard on the new slicks. They wil help out now for sure but once you are able to get a 5000+rpm dump the 60' times should drop if the track will hold it.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
drag radials will break parts.
get slicks.
launching high and spinning a few feet is easier on parts than launching low and hooking and snaping parts.
I vote for lots of rpm and psi... then start dumping psi until you have a "sctatch and go" car.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a tremec i think it will handel some abuse, but i think i will do axels and some 4.10s with a easy launch what do u think could a get a 1.9-1.8 60 foot with a moderate launch nothen like 6500 rpm and a side step, but i dont know thats why i am asking.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
With practice many can get 1.9's out of regular radials. On slicks you should be able to get the power down much better and 1.7's should be possible. High 1.6's if you really want to leave hard, maybe less.

Build a reliable rear and use your judgement at the track. I wussed out on many occasion and then eventually I started just leaving like an animal. 5000+rpm dumps and low 1.5's when I had the 5 speed still. Power level was up there at the time.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I would saw go with a 26x8 ET Street and see how it goes from there.

On your street tires you should be able to pull at least 1.9 60' times. I have the same BFG ZR's on my 97 cobra rims and they are bald and i still pull 1.8's launching at 700rpm on stock suspension.

Zach

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Your stock posi isnt going to take many high RPM slick launches....but that is the way to go to get these cars moving!

Get a good posi unit, and axles, 4.30's and bolt those slicks on and let her fly.

My Vobra with 26x11.5 ET Streets @ 8psi, Megabite Jrs, and the front sway bar pulled has ripped off a 1.57 60ft... with a 6000+ sidestep of the clutch. MAN THAT LAUNCH IS A KICK IN THE ASS! 1st time I did that you could see my grin from the grandstands!

derek

·
Registered
245 Posts
Slicks aren't needed for good traction. A friend of mine hits high 1.6s/low 1.7s on Nitto 275/40-17s. He has 4.10s and comes out at 4K with a slip-dump. Only suspension mod is no Sway bar.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Car is also a Cobra with bolt-ons.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
LAUNCH

EIBACH DRAGSPRINGS W/ AIR BAG PASS /SIDE 275 $ REMOVE S WAY BARS FRONT/ BACK ADD- ADJ UPERS /LOWERS PROPER ADJ IS VERY IMPORTANT /SPEED SHOP -APROX-350LESS LABOR IF YOU HAVE A BASICALY STOCK CAR TRUE SLICKS WILL DEFINETELY SLOW DOWN YOUR MILES PER HOUR/TOP SPEED. THERE ARE CARS RUNNING 8-9 SECOND QTRS WITH DRAG RADIALS AT ABOUT 18PSI THEY WILL HOOK/YOU MAY WANT TO PUT A15 INCH RIM ON BACKS-AND PUT A HIRE TIRE WALL TO ALOW MOORE WRINKLE ON TIRE .17 INCH RIMS TAKE AWAY TO MUCH RUBBER ROOM..............JUST REMEMBER CURVES ARE FOR CHICKS,,,,,,,,,,,,PRACTICE YOUR LAUNCH ON STREET, YOUR CARS NOSE SHOULD COME UP AT EXCELLERATION AND YOUR BACK END SHUOLD SQUAT , HANDLING SPRINGS WILL NOT ALLOW THAT, BUT STOK SHOCKS AND STRUTS WILL. 90/10S SUCK ON THE STREET LET ME NO HOW YOU MAKE OUT 93 KING

·
Registered
619 Posts
Buy the struts and shocks and the springs. As far as stock axles go I know I am not making near as much power as what you might be making, but still I leave @ 5,500 dumping the clutch on my car and not one problems. My ex coworker has broke them running 15's in some cars, then has had them not give one problem running deep into the 11's leaving on the spray. You can remove the bar end links to help your 60ft some then at the end of the day put them back on to return your car to regular street duty. Pete302 drives his cobra every day with 90/10s and I have driven the car a ton as well and the car handles like stock with the sway bar still hooked up. You wont be disappointed with the results.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Re: LAUNCH

93king said:
AND YOUR BACK END SHUOLD SQUAT , HANDLING SPRINGS WILL NOT ALLOW THAT, BUT STOK SHOCKS AND STRUTS WILL.
This is incorrect. The rear of the car should not squat or rise during launch. If the rear of the car squats then it is NOT transffering any force to the tires because the springs are compressing. If the rear of the car rises then the tires are being "hit" but will unload when the rear suspension settles back down. You want the rear suspension to remain steady when you launch.

Stiffer springs are desired on the rear of the car because they transffer the force to the tires better.

hth's
ks:D

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I am a cobra owner and I think u should beef up the rear first. Nittos would be fine on a stock trak lok. But with our torqueless monsters to achieve a low et u gotta launch hard. Get a rear then work on the susp. I used to be scared to come out hard but said screw it, if it breaks it needed to be upgraded anyways. Now, on slicks happiness to me is leaving at 7100rpms! :evil:
-Mark

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
For most tracks drag radials are only a tease. I have raced at four different tracks with my 96 cobra and 1.92-1.96 is the average sixty foot time for all of them. Most tracks just don't put down the glue that you need. This does not bode well for the DOHC that likes to leave with a high rpm launch.

I installed a Detroit C Locker, 31 spline Mosers, and Mickey Thompson ET Drags. That eased my mind as I knew the stock axles would not stand a whole lot of abuse on slicks and now I can let her rip!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Christ don't use slicks ulsess you have the hp ans suspension to use them.. dr's Nito noytthe fmed BFG are much better sways odff and don't launch so high ..you have a v8 your past your torque peak at that rpm.. jeesh use you head man

i tiny bit of spin saves alot of component s in your driveline releasing the stress

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i have bought a set of weld wheels 15x8s. ok now on to the tire. im thinking of a BFG drag radial. i know that more side wall the better for the track. so i was thinking like a 275,60(65)r15 i want to mabey look for something that size. my buddy has a 65 GTO and he has same size rim with a american racer tire i think it used to Mcrarey or something like that. the size is 265/60/r15 now his car hooks good hes pulling 1.7 60s on thoses tires now i know he is making a ton more Torque with that 455 compaired to my little ol 281. do u think these tiers would be ok. but i might end up with the BFGs i didnt want the 275/40/r17 cause i know they dont last long and they would be my every day tires so.

oh next in the list of mods is 4 30s and a new posi i know i need axels too

well thanks for all the help

ERIC

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
DOHC 97 Cobra said:
ok i have bought a set of weld wheels 15x8s. ok now on to the tire. im thinking of a BFG drag radial. i know that more side wall the better for the track. so i was thinking like a 275,60(65)r15 i want to mabey look for something that size. my buddy has a 65 GTO and he has same size rim with a american racer tire i think it used to Mcrarey or something like that. the size is 265/60/r15 now his car hooks good hes pulling 1.7 60s on thoses tires now i know he is making a ton more Torque with that 455 compaired to my little ol 281. do u think these tiers would be ok. but i might end up with the BFGs i didnt want the 275/40/r17 cause i know they dont last long and they would be my every day tires so.

oh next in the list of mods is 4 30s and a new posi i know i need axels too

well thanks for all the help

ERIC
The BFG 60 or 65/15's I think are a 28" tall tire. Too big unless u have a monster gear like 4.88's. If u get a BFG tire then u can easily cut 1.7's. If u have spare rims then u want to get 275/50/15. These are a 26" tall tire. Perfect for your set up. -Mark

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks man i will look in to it. what mods do u have i see that your in the mid 12s i was just wondering what all u have done? thanks
Eric

1 - 20 of 24 Posts