Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
681 Posts
My best cam recommendation is to contact Comp directly and tell them what you are doing. They will recommend the perfect cam, pushrods, and rockers.

the combo of the right cam and heads will not eat **** at any rpm. Never been an issue to exceed 6K+ RPM. Might have the T5 refreshed though....
Has Comp drastically changed their cam tech line??? You used to call three times and get three significantly different suggestions. If you knew who to call you used to be able to get real experience designing you a cam instead of just picking something from the catalog advertised for you rpm range. But that guy is probably retired now and I’ve long lost his info.

There certainly is an rpm limit for even the best cam and spring package. That’s why you’ve only gone just past 6,000 rpm.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's been happening for a long time before this person showed up. I note the person who liked your post, among others...
New one in the group always has to prove themself. Been there in sports, business, and years ago on this site and others when I went by 289nate ( had to change because of new email address😖). Its the way it should be and always will be hopefully. Many claim this or that. It’s all keyboard racing until you prove it.

Posted pictures while I assembled the engine to prove it was the block rotating assembly etc I said. Two engine dyno sessions on two different engine Dynos documented with photos. Then multiple video at the tract and on the street. And I was just a goofball fooling around with my tools in my garage based off a combo I saw and talked with the owner of a few years prior at the track. Made my point with significant documentation. Back then it was considered stupid and a waste. Strangely now it seems to be more of the norm.

Still had people who questioned it and always tried to discount it for various reasons. Best was at the track back then.

Asked about your combo in the staging lanes then proceed to make your ears bleed about their combo is this and that and they made such and such on some dyno. I only ever did test and tune after all. After we line up and I drag their butt they walk away when I come up to talk with them in the pits. One guy I came up to was already yelling on his cell phone at his engine builder. Just shook my head.

However the conversation was almost always positive and constructive with both parties sharing information when it came to actual engine builders and actual racers. Even from the Chevy and import guys.

Soooo the point of my looong rant is that you will always get crap when you are a new person in an established group (especially when doing something against the grain), you will have to prove yourself in several ways, you will do better to talk about what you have done with proof rather than what you will do or have done with your mouth ( be patient), and you should focus on proving yourself to the ones with a clue rather than every goof that has a “fast” car (you will never make everyone happy).

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,242 Posts
New one in the group always has to prove themself. Been there in sports, business, and years ago on this site and others when I went by 289nate ( had to change because of new email address😖). Its the way it should be and always will be hopefully. Many claim this or that. It’s all keyboard racing until you prove it.
289nate, I remember you. I also had a problem when they changed things a while back. I created a new ID "Cougar5.0" as one can now use a number after a dot, something that wasn't allowed when I first signed up sometime in 1999. Good thing you told me this or I would've thought "who's this newby talking trash" :ROFLMAO: I ended up getting my original username fixed up.

Actually, while you make a good point, there are many ways we all use to judge new users. The posters who are sparring here are not new, and my criteria here is: 1) whether they have a business interest in their arguments and 2) do they have any humility or are they arrogant *****s. Many involved in this mess have both strikes against them, thus I have zero sympathy other than to point out the ulterior motives of those who wish to use their history here as a cudgel.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That’s cool bro. 😎. I like your style in life. But I also look to learn. And some of the biggest A holes have been great teachers. Not role models.

People trying to sell me something also teach me. Not a customer of Ed’s but respect the heck out of what he has accomplished in class racing. Even when we butted heads for a long while. I challenge anyone to show me where I didn’t respect him and give him credit even when he was wrong. Lol

I’ve picked up things from Ed’s posts, mostly subtle, that made me think. There are two people I trust with my next build. Duane Busch, myself, or Ed. Because most don’t have a clue about racers even if they want to putt around on the street from time to time. Class racing experience is priceless when trying to get the most from what you have.

I don’t have to be buddies with my surgeon to know he has a clue. And the A hole who fixed my shattered ankle and took the plate and screws out was a punk! Wanted to punch the arrogant arse the way he talked to me. But he got me back kicking booty. Don’t have to like him to respect what he did for me.

Had some constructive PMs with Jordy and more so with putyoutorest. I understand them better but told them my issue. Time will tell as it always does. 😎👍

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
That’s cool bro. 😎. I like your style in life. But I also look to learn. And some of the biggest A holes have been great teachers. Not role models.

People trying to sell me something also teach me. Not a customer of Ed’s but respect the heck out of what he has accomplished in class racing. Even when we butted heads for a long while. I challenge anyone to show me where I didn’t respect him and give him credit even when he was wrong. Lol

I’ve picked up things from Ed’s posts, mostly subtle, that made me think. There are two people I trust with my next build. Duane Busch, myself, or Ed. Because most don’t have a clue about racers even if they want to putt around on the street from time to time. Class racing experience is priceless when trying to get the most from what you have.

I don’t have to be buddies with my surgeon to know he has a clue. And the A hole who fixed my shattered ankle and took the plate and screws out was a punk! Wanted to punch the arrogant arse the way he talked to me. But he got me back kicking booty. Don’t have to like him to respect what he did for me.

Had some constructive PMs with Jordy and more so with putyoutorest. I understand them better but told them my issue. Time will tell as it always does. 😎👍
As mentioned in our conversations, all the critics are not customers and until they experience our porting and results for themselves they have no factual data that proves us wrong. Our customers speak highly on their parts because they have and can see the huge differences in porting and performance. You can't blame them for that because its something everyone does. We have customers who had other porters work leaving them to come to us once they see our porting results for themselves. This is why we have more orders than we can handle but more videos and direct dyno comparisons are coming including track times as well to Put this to rest once and for all.
Thanks for the advice 👍

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
A ton of conversation here, not much of it relative to OP's plans, that's OK. Major thing I thought about from Nate's posts was the "at the track experience". Most grassroots racers back in the day went out of their way to be friendly with their peers, you'd never see the animosity that is common on forums these days.

Class racers that did well were usually too busy to be bothered too much with interaction with others, but were still usually cordial enough. There is one constant, that would be change, not always for the better IMHO.

Jay

·
Registered
681 Posts
A ton of conversation here, not much of it relative to OP's plans, that's OK. Major thing I thought about from Nate's posts was the "at the track experience". Most grassroots racers back in the day went out of their way to be friendly with their peers, you'd never see the animosity that is common on forums these days.

Class racers that did well were usually too busy to be bothered too much with interaction with others, but were still usually cordial enough. There is one constant, that would be change, not always for the better IMHO.

Jay
That’s true to a point. You call it animosity. I call it competition. Too many people afraid of confrontation and real research these days

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I do have a 94/95 Cobra flywheel I can weigh for comparison. I do know its much lighter than the regular 5.0L flywheel.

EDIT: Just weighed the flywheel, it comes in at 17.8lbs
Just weighed the one that came off, 20.2 lb. (RF-EIZR6380-A2A)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
This is my 2 builds on the 93 cobra

This is my thoughts

I spent way to much on my GT40 heads way smarter to just upgrade heads but I would do 11R heads you will be able to add a bigger cam. (I'm not a fan of Ed's but we have people on this sight that have 11R kits from him with his Custom cams making more with a stock bottom end then your asking for BUT they do have way better intakes like a TFR)

Get a Wideband run the 24s till you are going lean or do below if changing injectors.

Look at what Decipha posted go that way or just add new computer. The 93 is different then the rest and can make you spend extra money you will never get back spending extra now will save you in the long run.

I made 376hp with BigDogs stage 2 cobra intake port job and 396hp with his stage 3. Yes that was a 363 but it still says you can make that hp through it.

I'm not here to fight about intakes I have nothing but respect for the completion.

As you can see I am just like you and the cobra intake is a must.

I am also building a 347 with all the stock stuff from my first build (Gt40 heads, Cobra cam, stock rockers, with Bigdogs stage 2 on cobra intake, stock T5 out of the cobra) Numbers to come on it in the next few months. Goal is simple Cobra parts with 347 and ported intake 300-350hp

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
More surprises as this thing comes apart. Can anyone help me figure out what piston this is?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
It is interesting that there are hardly any reasonable choices for 1.7 stud rockers with 3./8 studs. Does everyone upgrade to 7/16 rocker studs?

Now that I know I have a 306 I am considering stepping up to the XE266HR cam and going to do what I can to estimate if 1.7s will give me enough PtV clearance The cam has lift of .341/.348 and with a 1.7 that will be .580/.591

The valve springs in the heads are good to .600 lift and the heads continue to flow to .600 lift. That is cutting it pretty close with the springs even if there is piston clearance. Probably better to go with the 1.6s and that will allow me to keep the 3/8 studs. 1.6s will give me lift of .546/.557.

·
Old timer
6,411 Posts
Lift has NOTHING to do with piston to valve clearance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Google doesn’t come up with anything for this cam. Any ideas what it is? I assume a factory something.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is interesting that there are hardly any reasonable choices for 1.7 stud rockers with 3./8 studs. Does everyone upgrade to 7/16 rocker studs?

Now that I know I have a 306 I am considering stepping up to the XE266HR cam and going to do what I can to estimate if 1.7s will give me enough PtV clearance The cam has lift of .341/.348 and with a 1.7 that will be .580/.591

The valve springs in the heads are good to .600 lift and the heads continue to flow to .600 lift. That is cutting it pretty close with the springs even if there is piston clearance. Probably better to go with the 1.6s and that will allow me to keep the 3/8 studs. 1.6s will give me lift of .546/.557.
I have an old set of Crower Enduro stainless steel 1.7 rockers for 3/8” studs that I’ve been wondering what to do with. Thought about hanging one from a chain around my neck or making some cuff links from them. Might check and see if the still make them.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts