Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

Old timer
Damn there's a boat load of word salad propaganda being spewed that is insanely flawed to the core.

Forget about VE and BSFC numbers. Just put the biggest header and intake manifold on a stock engine and you'll made thousands of them internet horsey powers. The "magic" flow bench says so! 馃ぁ

These threads are getting to be better entertainment every day!

Reactions: SWJ01 and allbizns

Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - 鈿ougar7.0鈿
another thread ruined by self promotion..........
It's been happening for a long time before this person showed up. I note the person who liked your post, among others...

Registered
another thread ruined by self promotion..........
Not quite yet, we're only on page two, it's still possible to respect the OP's thread, but this is probably asking above and beyond.

I would suggest the bolt down rockers that are available with the 165s, I'm not a fan of stud mounted rockers. I think the RCI mid length headers would be a fine choice for a street car. Easier to install than long tubes, and the 3" collector is just like what you would find on a quality long tube design, so the ball/socket connection won't be choking the exhaust.

I think it would be hard to go wrong with a hydraulic roller from FTI, Lunati has some nice stuff that would work well for your purpose if you want to do an off the shelf grind.

For your power level probably most performance single disc clutches will work OK, I have had good luck with Ram branded stuff. Haven't used one, but I also really like the concept of ACT lightened, forged flywheels, reducing the rotational mass will help the engine accelerate quicker.

Jay

Registered
For your power level probably most performance single disc clutches will work OK, I have had good luck with Ram branded stuff. Haven't used one, but I also really like the concept of ACT lightened, forged flywheels, reducing the rotational mass will help the engine accelerate quicker.

Jay
Seeing as the car in question is a 93 Cobra... I know that the 94-95 Cobras had a lighter flywheel from the factory compared to the GT. Wondering if it was the same for the 93 Cobra?

Registered
1989 GT
I had the exact combo you listed. Tmoss ported Cobra intake, XE264, AFR165s and long tubes through a TKO600 and made around 310hp/350rwtq
A Systemax would get some more power.
I would go with the XE270. Nice torquey combo without having to break the bank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks to those who have stayed on topic and given some information and recommendations from their experiences.

The car has 1 5/8" long tubes and full 2.5" all the way with no cats and a 70mm throttle body already. Probably need to do something with the MAF now that I think about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Seeing as the car in question is a 93 Cobra... I know that the 94-95 Cobras had a lighter flywheel from the factory compared to the GT. Wondering if it was the same for the 93 Cobra?
I plan to weigh the stock flywheel when it comes off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I ran the XE264HR cam years ago with a Cobra intake and E-Street heads-it made 284rwhp/322rwtq. It鈥檚 a baby cam with very little lope(if that鈥檚 what you鈥檙e also after lol). It did keep the low end decent though, even when I was running 3.08鈥檚. Still I think the XE270 would be a better option. I鈥檝e never ran a custom cam to give my .02, but I have been happy with the Comp XE lineup.
I don't mind giving up some of the low end grunt, not too much though. The increased compression of the AFR heads should help negate that a little as well. Having so many 4.6s over the last decade I'm used to not having any torque so when I get in the 93 it feels like a monster.

Reactions: tmoss

Registered
Probably need to do something with the MAF now that I think about it.
You could put an old school Pro-M 77mm meter on with the 93 Cobra X3Z/24# calibration. Pro-M will calibrate any of their old meters. There鈥檚 a big difference when compared to the stock 70mm MAS.

Banned
My goals for this cobra are to make it kind of an 鈥渙em+ resto-mod鈥. A good cruiser and overall decent performer. It has a new built rear end with 3.27 gears and I鈥檓 keeping the T-5 and I鈥檓 keeping the cobra intake manifold. I plan on using the AFR 165 heads. I would like the ability to take the car to 6k rpm without it falling on it itself.

I am not set on a cam yet. I鈥檓 leaning towards something around a XE264HR but other suggestions are welcome. I don鈥檛 have rockers yet either so 1.6s or 1.7s are an option depending on what will fit.

I鈥檓 needing a clutch as well and I have been looking at the Mcleod Street Pro clutch since it supports 400 flywheel horsepower and the AFR 165 combos seem to make 300-325whp. Anyone have experience with this clutch? How do you like it?

Feel free to let me know what I鈥檓 doing wrong or other things I should spend my money on.

Thanks!
Done it, with 1.6s. It will work just fine.

Registered
Mentioned the ACT flywheel earlier, it weighs in at just a bit over 14 pounds so almost as light as an aluminum. That it has so much material removed from the outer diameter portion reduces moment of inertia considerably. I know that a flywheel probably isn't anyone's idea of a great performance enhancement, but if you are in there doing a clutch, it sure wouldn't hurt. It is kinda spendy.
1995 FORD MUSTANG Advanced Clutch Technology 600410 ACT Prolite Xact Flywheels | Summit Racing

Jay

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Mentioned the ACT flywheel earlier, it weighs in at just a bit over 14 pounds so almost as light as an aluminum. That it has so much material removed from the outer diameter portion reduces moment of inertia considerably. I know that a flywheel probably isn't anyone's idea of a great performance enhancement, but if you are in there doing a clutch, it sure wouldn't hurt. It is kinda spendy.
1995 FORD MUSTANG Advanced Clutch Technology 600410 ACT Prolite Xact Flywheels | Summit Racing

Jay
Ya, I will be needing a flywheel as well but I think ill be going with an aluminum one since it has an unlimited life with the replaceable steel insert. That ACT wouldn't be unlimited. I've had one in my 98 cobra for 11 years and replaced the disc once and no other issues. I just hate the on/off engagement of the Spec 2+ in that car. So hoping to avoid that with this new clutch for the 93.

Registered
That's an interesting take on it, I wonder why you would think that? Back in the day, rotors, and flywheels were resurfaced and reused all the time. That flywheel would be able to be resurfaced more times than you are ever going to need.

I don't have anything against an aluminum either, I have a Fidanza on 2 363s. They are slightly even more spendy than the ACT at Summit.

1995 FORD MUSTANG Fidanza 186501 Fidanza Billet Aluminum Flywheels | Summit Racing

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If I could find anyone who would surface it I wouldnt want them to. I hate people touching my cars so I try to do the absolute most work myself. What a pain that would be to have downtime waiting on it and it would 150% come back wrong or damaged and I would have to replace it anyways. Id rather spend the extra for better parts AND cut out any future work and headaches.

Registered
My goals for this cobra are to make it kind of an 鈥渙em+ resto-mod鈥. A good cruiser and overall decent performer. It has a new built rear end with 3.27 gears and I鈥檓 keeping the T-5 and I鈥檓 keeping the cobra intake manifold. I plan on using the AFR 165 heads. I would like the ability to take the car to 6k rpm without it falling on it itself.

I am not set on a cam yet. I鈥檓 leaning towards something around a XE264HR but other suggestions are welcome. I don鈥檛 have rockers yet either so 1.6s or 1.7s are an option depending on what will fit.

I鈥檓 needing a clutch as well and I have been looking at the Mcleod Street Pro clutch since it supports 400 flywheel horsepower and the AFR 165 combos seem to make 300-325whp. Anyone have experience with this clutch? How do you like it?

Feel free to let me know what I鈥檓 doing wrong or other things I should spend my money on.

Thanks!
93 Cobra owner with experience-

The 165鈥檚 will give you loads of usable throttle response and TQ. I got mine with the upgraded valve and spring package. The car is a rockstar to drive.

My best cam recommendation is to contact Comp directly and tell them what you are doing. They will recommend the perfect cam, pushrods, and rockers.

the combo of the right cam and heads will not eat **** at any rpm. Never been an issue to exceed 6K+ RPM. Might have the T5 refreshed though....

Reactions: zd302gt and 2dxtrm

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That sounds great and that's my goal! Well, i'm mostly doing the heads for the weight benefit but everything else is good too! Haha!

I do plan to contact comp to get their input before I purchase. What cam did you run in yours? The T-5 is going to have to live another two years, hopefully. I don't plan on beating on the car that much, I'm just excited to get to drive it.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts