Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goals for this cobra are to make it kind of an “oem+ resto-mod”. A good cruiser and overall decent performer. It has a new built rear end with 3.27 gears and I’m keeping the T-5 and I’m keeping the cobra intake manifold. I plan on using the AFR 165 heads. I would like the ability to take the car to 6k rpm without it falling on it itself.

I am not set on a cam yet. I’m leaning towards something around a XE264HR but other suggestions are welcome. I don’t have rockers yet either so 1.6s or 1.7s are an option depending on what will fit.

I’m needing a clutch as well and I have been looking at the Mcleod Street Pro clutch since it supports 400 flywheel horsepower and the AFR 165 combos seem to make 300-325whp. Anyone have experience with this clutch? How do you like it?

Feel free to let me know what I’m doing wrong or other things I should spend my money on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The n41 with 1.7 rockers is a good ots combo. Idk what you’re running for a piston though.

Can’t go wrong having Ed at FlowTech induction spec you a cam for a few bucks more though.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Gotcha. I’d holler at Ed and just have him grind one for you.

I really like the ram powergrip clutch. It’s great for a car you drive a lot and will handle all the power you throw at it.

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,242 Posts
XE270HR worked well for me with that head and it'll get you closer to your 6k RPM. I liked the Centerforce dual-friction clutch - easy pedal feel and will hold up to your HP level no problem.

Reactions: zd302gt

·
Registered
925 Posts
Mcleod makes a great clutch in my humble opinion. I have run a Super Street Pro behind a 525 HP road race / autocross application for 15 years. They last around 7 years of hard driving / racing. Getting ready to put my 3rd one in. Easy to drive and they have good customer service. YMMV

Reactions: zd302gt

·
Old timer
6,411 Posts
When the original AFR 165 Outlaw heads came out, nearly 20 years ago, did up a complete cylinder head and camshaft package for another Cobra owner who went into the high elevens and drove it every day. Not sure if the Corral archives still has that build anymore.

The newer AFR Renegade heads are even better than the Outlaws so there's more power available now a days.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Good exhaust system, N41 or N412 cam, good ported 70mm throttle body, Stage 2 Ported upper and lower Cobra gt40, 30lb injectors and matching maf is all you need to make 345-360whp/340-350wtrq through a T5. Simple and not complicated at all.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
This car did 310whp/350wtrq with a terrible tune (check the afr), Stage 2 ported Explorer gt40, B cam with 1.7 rocker with less heads than you through a restrictive exhaust system.
After the bad tune, better intake filter and exhaust was fixed it did 358whp/355wtrq with the same ole B cam!

Attachments

Reactions: mrjody and 2dxtrm

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
This car did 310whp/350wtrq with a terrible tune (check the afr), Stage 2 ported Explorer gt40, B cam with 1.7 rocker with less heads than you through a restrictive exhaust system.
After the bad tune, better intake filter and exhaust was fixed it did 358whp/355wtrq with the same ole B cam!
Where’s the Dyno sheet where it made 358?

Reactions: Putyoutorest

·
Old timer
6,411 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Where’s the Dyno sheet where it made 358?
Tell you what. Since I cannot post a simple reply or make a comment without certain individuals constantly complaining, bashing or asking me to do things that others are not required to do I will not only provide the updated dyno sheet but I will also uplink the dyno video on a separate new thread that way this OP thread is not messed up. 👍

Reactions: Ownotch

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Tell you what. Since I cannot post a simple reply or make a comment without certain individuals constantly complaining, bashing or asking me to do things that others are not required to do I will not only provide the updated dyno sheet but I will also uplink the dyno video on a separate new thread that way this OP thread is not messed up. 👍
I’m not bashing or anything, but 358whp with a b cam ain’t something that happens often.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I’m not bashing or anything, but 358whp with a b cam ain’t something that happens often.
You want to know why? It's because MOST people follow the same recipe that people that are not doing the hp suggest. They do and bolt on the same parts WITHOUT knowing what those parts flow or the science behind it. For example. They think all headers pretty much give the same results but that's not true. If you flow different brands of shorty and long tube headers back to back on their primary and total flow you will see some flow better than others and when you port/modify them you will see huge gains in flow which will result in gains in hp. Same thing applies to air filters, intake pipes, maf, throttle bodies, intake manifolds and cylinder heads.
Most people run heads that flow 300cfm at peak, a big A$$ cam lift then bolt on a Systemax 2 that only flows 250cfm and a air filter that has a total new airflow of 700cfm. That will limit power.
It's all about maximizing flow in and flow out.

Reactions: mrjody and 2dxtrm

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran the XE264HR cam years ago with a Cobra intake and E-Street heads-it made 284rwhp/322rwtq. It’s a baby cam with very little lope(if that’s what you’re also after lol). It did keep the low end decent though, even when I was running 3.08’s. Still I think the XE270 would be a better option. I’ve never ran a custom cam to give my .02, but I have been happy with the Comp XE lineup.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
You want to know why? It's because MOST people follow the same recipe that people that are not doing the hp suggest. They do and bolt on the same parts WITHOUT knowing what those parts flow or the science behind it. For example. They think all headers pretty much give the same results but that's not true. If you flow different brands of shorty and long tube headers back to back on their primary and total flow you will see some flow better than others and when you port/modify them you will see huge gains in flow which will result in gains in hp. Same thing applies to air filters, intake pipes, maf, throttle bodies, intake manifolds and cylinder heads.
Most people run heads that flow 300cfm at peak, a big A$$ cam lift then bolt on a Systemax 2 that only flows 250cfm and a air filter that has a total new airflow of 700cfm. That will limit power.
It's all about maximizing flow in and flow out.
Ok.

What was the rest of the combo? B cam and an explorer intake is kind of a vague description. What changes were made on the before and after runs? It’s a big jump

1 - 20 of 68 Posts