Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the help in advance.

I'm having a few problems with rough idle and engine misses 1-2 k rpms. it seems to be a timing related problem because i set up the timing wrong. i could tell..

These are a few of the things I did on intial start up: moved cyl #1 to TDC (crank keyway poiting up towards the cam sproket mark). the distributor rotor is pointing to #1 cyl valve cover (unsure about this). after all this motor did not start.
I had to move the distributor to the right - way off to at least get some fire. the car now runs on this position but it wont stay on for long.

i know there is something wrong, the distributor is not on its originall position - is way off.

i need helping setting up the timing correctly.

any info would be appreciate it .

thanks

dave

·
Registered
357 Posts
Set #1 to TDC (forget the crank keyway), ensure timing pointer is lined up with 0 degrees on the balancer. Ensure rotor is pointing to #1 distributor post (not sure what you're talking about #1 valve cover), somewhere in the 10-11 o'clock position. This should get you in the ballpark until you can put a light on it. Oh, and don't forget to pull the spout connector first.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Notch Rocket is right on. I just pulled my distributor, so it is still fresh in my head. Just make sure your balancer outer ring has not spun if it is old. Match up 0* on the balancer with the pointer. Dist. rotor should be pointing at the 10 or 11 o'clock position when fully seated down in the block. And last, the dist. housing should be positioned so that the TFI module where the harness plugs in is pointing at the 6 o'clock position. I noticed my housing had a notch at the base that lined up with a notch in the block. Not sure if the previous owner put this there but it helped me out. From there you just have to fine tune it. Also, you have to remember that the gears on the dist. and cam are angle cut, so as you are lowering the distributor down, the rotor will rotatate clockwise a bit as both gears engage. This means you will have to start with the rotor at around the 8 or 9 o'clock position before you start sliding it in.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did as described above. The timing mark is on zero on the balancer, rotor pointing at 11 oclock position, and distributor on it's orignal position. The motor fired right up and the timing was at about 20-25 degrees. idle seemed a bit better, so then I backed down the timing to 10 degrees and it started to die again after this.

anyhow I managed to get it on 10 degrees without the spout connector. installed the spout back, disconnected the battery for 10 mins, turned her on again and went for a ride.
samething the motor dies on idle. i have to keep my foot on the gas most of the time.

the power seems to be there so it may no longer be a timing issue.

one thing i noticed. if i advance the timing from 15-20 degrees the motor smooths out a bit (slightly noticeble).

any ideas would be appreciate it thanks.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
by the way the motor shakes pretty bad when is trying to idle. you can hear the tensioner hitting none stop due to the shaking.

if i raise the rpms it smooths out. but then again it misses during 800-1500 rpms

1 - 9 of 9 Posts