Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since my 98GT has now developed a nasty knocking noise (found that the engine was 4 qts low on oil 300 miles after having the "oil changed" (changed for air I guess, but that’s another story…)), I have decided to do the rebuild myself. While being fairly handy with a wrench, I have never worked on the innards of a mod motor.

Goals:
1) Drop about 80 lbs of weight off the noise – presumably this can be done with an aluminum block and aluminum flywheel.
2) Increase displacement – HP stroker kit looks like a nice way to get out to nearly 5L (This will still be a mild safe daily driver, perhaps in the 320 RWHP range with the 6PSI Ford blower).

Q’s – Are the aluminum short block options out there all based on a Cobra block? If so, what year? Do I simply bolt on all my 98 stuff to the Cobra block (including my new ported and camed 98 heads)? Any write-ups on procedures for the swap? Any "gotcha’s"? Experiences with the HP stroker kit, or any other cost effective stroking suggestions?

Thanks - Dave

·
Registered
218 Posts
wow....sounds exactly like the problem i had. :curses: sorry to hear about your misfortune. :crying:

·
Registered
115 Posts
No, Ford actually made aluminum 4.6's for the crown vic, f150, and the explorer. I actually have on sitting in my garage. I was going to use it as a project engine but bought a shm shortblock instead. My block is a 2000. Your heads won't work on a Cobra block either without major modification.

The 4.6 is actually pretty easy to build if you have a few specialized tools. My advice is to pick up a copy of the shop manual for the year engine you want to build from Helm. They are a bit expensive but will guide you through every step of the rebuild.

·
Registered
115 Posts
And Yes, Everything from your 4.6 will bolt to any 4.6 block, besides the Cobra. If your going to rebuild I would go with some 99+ heads so you can keep your compression down. Or some severely dished pistons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's good info, and will pick up the manuals.

Not sure what you mean by getting 99+ heads to reduce the comp ratio - the 98 heads have a larger head CC volume, no?

Any suggestions on where to pick up a cost effective Al block?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll sell you mine for $300 with the crank and all the caps. You will need to have the block machined or at least honed, the cylinders look great, and the crank will need to be glass beaded and polished. I can put it on eBay if you would rather work through them. I have over 200 positive feedbacks and no negatives. email me or call me if you interested.

[email protected]

I PM'ed you my phone #

I can send you pics if you want. Also I will guarentee the block to be crack free and rebuildable.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yea I thought if you reused your front timing cover and tensionsers you could use a cobra block... Very curious.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm actully not sure why, I have just read several posts on different boards that to install 4V heads on a 2V engine takes alot of modification. You would need an entirely new intake and computer for and you would need to splice in a 4V connectors into your 2V harness for your injectors, that is all I know but I am sure there is much more to it. Ask in the DOHC forum, they will tell you for sure watis involved.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hold on here, I got things backwards from the start. I thought he meant putting 4V parts onto a 2V Block, Not the other way around. But again I am not sure, you may very well be right about that.

Dave you may want to look into that, it may be a better option than buying mine. I thought you were asking something completely different. Sorry. You can buy a Brand new 03 Cobra block from fordpartsnetwork.com for $1500 and they are great people to deal with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts