Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a 95 gt 5L with a 5 speed t55 tranny short shifter, edelbrock upper and lower intake, and lots of other crap like roller rockers and gt40 heads etc. etc. one day i started my car and it started to make a grinding noise constantly. i did not know what it was so i kept driving it. later the sound stopped and when i got home i tried to start the car again with no success. so i took the starter out and took it to autozone for them to test it and found out it was bad forgot what was the problem. so i got a new starter, header bolts, header exhaust gaskets to fix the exhaust leak. put the new starter in and the car started up fine.....the only thing was the some grinding noise (similar to the one before) is going at it again. not sure what the problem is and if you know please help me fix it. i have 2 videos you can watch and listen to the sound. i think its coming from the starter or flywheel. lemme kno what you think. any help would be great. THANKS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FUET_Z0kTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKW8fm3E_zE

· Registered
2,811 Posts
one day i started my car and it started to make a grinding noise constantly. i did not know what it was so i kept driving it.
That's the kinda stuff I'd slap my wife for doing. ;-)

I can't really get a good read from the videos. Maybe my laptop sound just sucks too bad. You think it's coming from the starter? Did you inspect the ring gear on the flywheel when you replace the last starter? What about the throwout bearing? It makes a squealing/grinding noise when it goes bad, but you can usually put a little more or less pressure on the clutch and make it change or go away. What have you done to narrow it down? You are 100% sure it isn't coming from the valvetrain? Motor shouldn't be making grinding noises contantly.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i had to get the car home since my dad knows a lot about the 5L engine. but he knew the starter was bad and now he doesnt know what the sound is. no i didnt check the bearing or anything i just hooked the new starter up and bolted it in....the sound did go away one time after we had started it up about 5 times but i tried that again and it didnt work so.

· This space for rent
7,427 Posts
Sounds to me like the bendix in the starter isn't returning to it's rest. This is usually caused by a flywheel ring gear problem. But that's just a guess. When the noise starts, try tapping the starter a few times with something to see if it goes away.

Also, take a big screwdriver and put the handle up to your ear and the other end to the valve covers. That'll tell you if the noise is coming from the drive train.

· This space for rent
7,427 Posts
Not sure the ignition would keep it engaged because if it did, he would hear the starter motor continue to crank the engine after it was already started. I listened to it after he started it and you can hear the starter motor spin back down.

Sometimes a burr or something on the flywheel can hold the bendix out.

· Corral Charter Member
11,672 Posts
there was a post recently either in this forum or the General Tech section (or another) - where another person was having starter and & weird grinding issues. After he removed the tranny and bell housing, he found the problem. The problem he found was that the toothed outer ring gear that is normally welded to the flywheel had separated - thus when the flywheel was spinning w/ the engine rpm, the outer gear no longer being secured to the flywheel via the factory welds was grinding against the moving flywheel and the engine block plate... There were pics of it too. I guess this can happen in rare instances, but if you're still hearing that grinding, I would pull the starter again and inspect the starter's gear and then manually turn the engine so you can inspect the teeth on the flywheel... Also, while inspecting the flywheel, see if that outer gear has separated from the flywheel.

I went through 2 starters on my Cobra. The original did what you experienced - the bendix had stuck when I tried to start the car one day - and even when shutting off the car, in order to get it to stop or shut down, I had to disconnect the battery cable. The original starter had like 110k on it. I then had a shop get me a rebuilt starter (no name brand) and within 2 weeks, the same thing happened w/ the "new" starter. I took it back to them and got a refund, then went directly to the Ford Dealer and bought a new Ford starter - never an issue since.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i will try doing that tom and let you guys know if i found out anything......i know i do have a transmission leak near the bell housing, maybe that has something to do with it.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i found out that the new starter messed up and stayed out (engaged) and did not move wut so ever....took it back got a new starter hooked it up and car started right up no problems.....sounds good and thanks everyone for your input i have a video to all of you who helped so you should check it out. THANKS
p.s you cant really here it but if you go to youtube and look at my other videos...find the one with the camera under the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xCMz0sBDKs

· This space for rent
7,427 Posts
I will accept the glory for a proper diagnosis!! j/k. glad you got it sorted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.