Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a powerdyne right now and am looking to upgrade over winter. Once I find a setup I will be selling my entire kit. One thing I need to get straight is on the vortech stuff is what is what. Help me understand what I should be looking for in a used setup.

A-trim
s-trim
sc-trim
sci-trim

I think I understand the v-1 straight cut gears louder v-2 angle cut gears quieter v-3 angle cut gears self lube. Do I have this right?

I have also been looking at paxton novi blowers if I were to buy new. The reason is they already come with 8 rib set up you dont need to upgrade. In the novi I was looking at the 1220sl and you can upgrade to a 1500 down the road.

Right now I have a 306 H/C/I. Down the road I would like to put together a 8.2 dart block combo I want to keep it simple as far a heddars etc. I dont think I will ever be over 600rwhp.

Thanks
Duane

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
paxton novi 1200si or the vortech si-trim will get you in the 600 range easily. if you want to go a little bigger go novi 2000

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Agreed.^^^^^^ but if you are looking for a good deal a reg s-trim is a great blower! A v-1 sounds really cool at idsle if you don't want a sleeper and a v2 SQ has a better internal step up 3.45 in a v1 and 3.62 in a v2 or v3. All greagt blowers. Do no settle for a A-trim. The powerdyne is actually better just not as reliable. A Novi 1500 fits the same brackets as a S, si sc,a and novi 1200, 1000. Novis are bascally the same as Vortech in a slightly different case.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I go new it will probably be a novi. The used market is almost totally Vortech. Im waiting on jegs to have another sale on paxton they had one a while back and I did not pull the trigger.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
anderson ford motorsports has great deals usually around Thanksgiving i think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you for the mention. We are very competitive with our AFM / Vortech kits and invite you to check them out and compare.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok will do when time comes

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
First off. What RPM do you plan on spinning the motor?????

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't help but to put my 2 cents in on the V1 t-trim Race M. I've had it on for 6 months now on a 4.6L the best thing I like about it besides the obvious boost, is that I'm told it sounds like a jet plane going by you. At idle nobody has asked me if it was blown but what blower is it. There is no mistake of a squeaking alternator belt. It just sounds awesome!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I dont think I will ever be over 600rwhp.
I think I've heard this before. In order that you don't have to upgrade later, I think you should be looking at the Si trim or the Novi equivalent at least. The T trim may be easier to find used and would support more power, however the T trims are quite loud. If you want less noise, the Novi 2000 is fairly quiet and will support a bit more power than the T.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I would go with a Used blower personally because there are plenty of used Vortech's for sale out there just check out the seller and their feedback good before you drop any cash.A good used blower is just as good as a brand new one except it prob wont have the warranty..waa waa big deal I have never had any problems out of any of mine to need a warranty.I would go with either a V1-S (Noisy) , V2SQ (Quiet), SI, or the V1 T trim. You can find a good used S-Trim for sale in the $1500 price range and that has the ability to take your car into the 9s if built correctly and with the right suspension.

·
Registered
675 Posts
X'2 on vortech i switched from nos to vortech v2 and hadn't looked back.I also got it used on hear and worked great.Make sure no matter what blower u get that your fuel system and ignition is up to par and read in this forum as much info as you can i learned alot from guys in hear!!!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Si trim Vortech is the most versatile street blower on the market. By versatile, I mean it can be pullied for moderate boost on a 450 rwhp car, or pullied for 18 lbs and make in excess of 700 rwhp and everything in between.

I'm partial to the YSi, but it's for a much more specific application. Read: LOTS of boost. :)

·
Premium Member
53,617 Posts
On a milder combo a little S-trim will work better than a Novi 2000. The 2000 shines up high with a combo built for RPM and higher horsepower. (I had a Novi 2000 on my old LX and had been running an S-trim on that car previously) An S-trim's gonna be right in the sweet spot for a combo that you plan to stay in the 500's as far as horsepower.
I've had several blower cars/combos over the years. Right now I have one with an S-trim, one with a KB 2200 and one with a TVS. Love all of 'em but there's just something cool about that noisy, whinny s-trim on the Cobra. LOL...

Just my three cents worth...

·
Registered
198 Posts
On a milder combo a little S-trim will work better than a Novi 2000. The 2000 shines up high with a combo built for RPM and higher horsepower. (I had a Novi 2000 on my old LX and had been running an S-trim on that car previously) An S-trim's gonna be right in the sweet spot for a combo that you plan to stay in the 500's as far as horsepower.
I've had several blower cars/combos over the years. Right now I have one with an S-trim, one with a KB 2200 and one with a TVS. Love all of 'em but there's just something cool about that noisy, whinny s-trim on the Cobra. LOL...

Just my three cents worth...

What does work better mean exactly?? The vortech MAY make boost a little quicker but the novi will pass it on the big end so it just depends on what you like. Even at more moderate boost levels i'll take the novi any day because it won't be working nearly as hard and will still cooler.

I'm not saying the strim isnt a nice blower but it really can't compare to the novi2000 in any way.

·
Premium Member
53,617 Posts
What does work better mean exactly?? The vortech MAY make boost a little quicker but the novi will pass it on the big end so it just depends on what you like. Even at more moderate boost levels i'll take the novi any day because it won't be working nearly as hard and will still cooler.
I wouldn't argue with that answer... :)

I remember when I had the Novi, an index class I wanted to race in would not allow them. They obviously work well... They were afraid. LOL...

As for S-trim working hard... Meh.... Had one nearly ten years. Hot-lapped with it hot summer. Hot air blower in hot weather... :king:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wasn't trying to discredit you in any way because i can see you've had your share of blowers but I know you know better ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts