Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone--finally got the bug to start modding the '01 Cobra and need some expert advice. I've had my car since spring and albsolutely love it as my daily driver, even in the Ohio winters. The car has 9,900 miles on it and this spring/summer, I'd like to improve the suspension and put on 18" 2001 Cobra R's (I have to get new tires for next winter anyway right?).
Anyway, I noticed an add for the Eibach Pro kit for $209 and it got me going on lowering the car. My goal is to keep the ride quality VERY NEAR STOCK as Toledo roads are not the greatest. I'd appreciate any opinions and have thought of the following options:

1.) Eibach Pro-kit and stock shocks/struts
2.) Eibach Pro-kit and aftermarket shocks/struts or '03 Cobra
3.) '03 Cobra springs and stock Bilsteins
4.) Insert your opinion here.

I haven't researched this much, so please let me know your thoughts. I'd love to do coil-overs all around but need to keep this cost effective so the 427" stroker project '91 LX gets done.
Please remember, I'd like to focus on improved looks and handling without sacrificing ride quality too much.
Thanks, James

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
No matter what anyone says, you're going to lose some ride quality when you install shorter springs with less avaiable travel, no matter the rate you choose. If it were me, I would probably install the slightly stiffer very excellent 2000 R springs and suspension parts (which I believe includes the Ford off set rack bushings). You know how they look and work. Since they don't lower as much as some others, I noticed the 2000 R's I have seen didn't need C/C plates.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
PoorYuppie said:

*The only comment I have about that stage I kit is that is offers the "short" subframe connectors. (You'll also have to factor in the cost of installation to weld these in, unless you are good at welding). I would rather install a set of full-length subframes instead of the regular (short) length subframes. Just MHO...

Suspension & gears is next on my mod list. I'm thinking about the '03 Cobra struts/shocks & still undecided about springs. I know the roads around here aren't the greatest :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
COBRA90GT said:
*The only comment I have about that stage I kit is that is offers the "short" subframe connectors. (You'll also have to factor in the cost of installation to weld these in, unless you are good at welding). I would rather install a set of full-length subframes instead of the regular (short) length subframes. Just MHO...

Suspension & gears is next on my mod list. I'm thinking about the '03 Cobra struts/shocks & still undecided about springs. I know the roads around here aren't the greatest :D
I got the 03 shocks and struts along with Steeda springs and Pro3i C/C plates sitting in a closet. I'll put them on in the spring when I won't freeze trying to install stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Right now I have 03 cobra shocks/struts and the eibach pro kit. This spring I am swapping out the eibachs for soem H&R Race springs which will be better suited to the track. If you want send me a PM maybe i can give you my eibachs cheap.

Ev

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want to do it real cheap, just cut your factory springs. Then just get a pair of c/c plates and a front end alignment. If looks is all you want. If you want performance too, then go the other route. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
62 Posts
can the stock shocks and struts be retained if car is lowered 1-1 1/2 inches without bottoming them out?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lowering the 01

I've got the Maximum Motorsports/H&R Supersports springs and 2003 Cobra Bilsteins on my 99, along with Kenny Brown extreme matrix subframe assemblies and jacking rail. I used the Maximum Motorsports 4-point lower front brace because the KB one looks a bit flimsy. The ride is fine: much better than when I had the Kenny Brown Sport Springs and yellow Konis, but I'm quite a fan of Bilsteins. I live WAY out in the northern California mountain boondocks and roads aren't well-maintained up here, but the present configuration works well. I've got a MM caster/camber plate: that makes suspension tuning on a lowered car much easier, and they're fairly priced. I'm running Steeda 17X9 Ultralite wheels and 255/45X17 front & 285/40X17 rears and it STILL rides pretty well. I haven't taken it to the track at Thunderhill raceway yet with the current set-up, but the previous set-up was competitive with ZO6 Corvettes, 2003 M3s, various Porsches. I DO tend to drive with vigor, and the gold-chain boys might've been soft pedalling to not risk wrinkling their cars. A couple DID approach and say they couldn't keep up with me though. These are great cars. :eek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
lowering

I have the Steeda Sport Springs with the '03 Bilsteins and the Pro3i CC plates. Ride is very nice. Car was lowered about 1 1/4 all around. Any lowering will not ride like stock, but I am very happy with my set up and it handles great. I also wanted ride quality near stock until I got this set up, I got as close as I could without cutting corners. Whatever you choose you will not regret, stock quality is not as fun as getting it lowered correctly.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Do not cut the factory springs.
Do not leave you original factory dampners in when lowering the car.
There are a billion combinations and opinions. Prokits are at the softer end of the spring choice so will be the closest to a stock ride, but will NOT be as soft as stock.
What shocks/struts you choose will make the difference. I use non-adj Tokicos on one car & KYB adjustables on the other (both with Prokits), but neither may be exactly right for your usage. I know Ford sells some version of Bilsteins and maybe they will work.
Do a search on "shocks" and see what old post come up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
cutting the springs worked fine for me.....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, I think I'll be doing the Pro-kit and '03 Bilsteins. And know I'm not going just for looks--I'll include chassis bracing and C/C plates--but I hate the 4x4 stock look. Later, James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts