Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy that I work with is considering buying a 1993 Cobra that is in excellent conditon. I have seen it and it is. The seller claims that the car has 270 HP. I have looked under the hood and saw no indications or modifications that would accomodate that power claim. I could be wrong though. The engine idled smooth. It didn't sound like it had a performance exhaust either (rather quiet). The seller tells him that he "ordered" the car that way.:bs: I think the guy is just putting him on. Only mod I could see was a big, damn tach on the dash. Anyway, does anybody know if Ford ever sold some 270HP 1993 Cobra's from the factory floor? I say no, anybody have any info?

Thanks,

Stanman

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I would read before i speak. I just read through my copy of Mustang 5.0 Technical and Reference Handbook and answered my own question. The factory down rated these engines for some reason. Probably insurance. Anyway, the book says that independent testing has revealed power numbers of 270 hp. Case Closed.:curses:

·
Registered
399 Posts
We had a guy dyno one here with 7000 miles but he had added shorty headers, off-road H and dynomax cat back. It pulled 230 or 240 rwhp, not sure exactly, but I was rather impressed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had my car dyno'd at 236 RWHP and 293 Lb ft of torque with a 1993 Cobra crate motor with shorty headers and full exhaust with 2,800 miles on it.

2 days ago.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
NO it is not insurance there on the ratings.

What happened in 1993 is how they tested the output of the motors. Before it was just the engine, no accessories. In 1993 they started testing with full accessories. Thus you see a drop in HP ratings for all Fords in 1993.

But if you take a 87-92 rating of 225hp, add the GT40 heads, intake and larger MAF/TB, you can get up to about 40 more HP from those mods.

It is still rated at 235hp factory stock and should be sold as that. I have heard magazines that tested the car say it should be more around 250hp as the rating. But it was sold as 235 from Ford. So see if the guy can back that up for you.

If you want more info on the Mustangs by model year: http://www.mustanggt.org

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what you are saying is....

Ford attained their numbers with all of the accesories bolted on and measured at the flywheel? Or did they measure at the rear wheels? Just want to be sure before I open my mouth again. I was going to let the guy, who is buying the car, borrow my book and read up on it himself. Thanks for the help.

Stanman

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Pearl_LX said:
I had my car dyno'd at 236 RWHP and 293 Lb ft of torque with a 1993 Cobra crate motor with shorty headers and full exhaust with 2,800 miles on it.

2 days ago.
The real life answer is right here ^^^^ and the post above that one.
What matters is the number with the accesories on, since that is how you drive the car (with alternator, pump, p/s, etc). About 235 rear wheel hp is right.
The 270hp claim would hold up if it was measuered at the flywheel with the acc. off the motor.
I'd definitely say the seller is trying to make a quick sale. Maybe you should email this page to your friend.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Is the guy trying to get more money for it because of the 270hp claim? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he is trying to charge more, I would look for a different car. Because, a Guy like that, no matter how many magazine articles and literature you show to him is still going to say "Nope, I ordered it that way."

Another thing. In a way the guy is sort of right, if you are talking HP at the flywheel. '91 GT dynoed his at 236 RWHP which works out to about 276 FWHP. (236 hp x 17%, (average drivetrain loss), = 276.1.) So as long as he knows the difference, he is right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.