Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some help with where to start, I really don't want to just throw money at it. I like to do my own work and enjoy learning. I would like more power and to be quicker / faster.

Current combo: 1989 LX hatch, gt40p motor that was taken apart cleaned and put back together with new std bearings and rings, oil pump timing change, HO cam (92?) has big cone filter on 73mm CL MAF, 65mm bbk TB and EGR, shorty headers, 2.5" H with cats, and flowmasters. T-5 with 3.08 gears. Full weight car stock suspension with KYB GTX shocks and struts. Cheap street tires

Car is currently my DD/ strip car. I have run the standing mile it went 140 mph with some “speed tape/cardboard”, a little 100 octane in the tank and the fan removed. Took it to the 1/8 mile Thursday night tnt in Feb best pass 2.22 9.21 @ 77.61 Took it to the ¼ Sunday afternoon best pass was 2.28 9.31 @ 77.40 14.34 @ 97.93. Had one spinning pass @ 99.21 mph.

I picked up a set of used draglites that have like new BFG T/As street tires will try them next time. Have been thinking about getting a wideband O2 sensor, are they worth the money? Where would you start?
Thanks!
Russell

·
Registered
27 Posts
At your power level you dont need a wideband, but if you are going to take it to the track more put some maximum motorsports full length frame connectors on. Also some 3.73 gears out back will make the car noticibly quicker

·
Registered
618 Posts
Gears, sticky tires, a few suspension mods, lighten it up, practice. Get that 60' down in the 1.6 to 1.7 range, then start adding other engine mods. It is good to get traction figured out before you start adding more power.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I agre with the above, gears and tires will make a huge difference. I t will also help to get the best out of what you have first, I ran my stock motored 93 well into the 13's before I put any parts on it. Just learn your car well now, and do 1 mod at a time in the future, easiest way to see what gains you get.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My commute is 70 miles a day. Most of it is on the interstate 70 mph speed limit. I am half way looking for cheap 4cyl car to get better mileage. But I enjoy driving my 5.0 I don't want to make the mileage any worse right now, so I am not sure about adding gears. I truely am a cheap person I plan getting some drag radials just been holding out for a good cheap used set :rolleyes:

·
Registered
646 Posts
My 88 L.X. has. Gone 13.40 at 102 mph. It has these mods:
Stock short block 130,000 miles
GT40 heads
Stock cam
1.7 roller rockers
Explorer intake
Explorer 65mm TB
75 mm mass air
24LB injectors
15/8" shorty headers
2 1/2" off road pipe
2 1/2" flowmaster cat back
T-5
3.73 gears. The car's 60' times are in the 1.80's on et streets. It is my commuter car as well. I also drive it 76 miles round trip back and forth to work. It gets 21-23 miles per gallon. Put some tires on it and watch the E.T.s drop

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Retro 5.0 sounds like our cars have a lot in common. What kind of roadway is your commute? mind is getting 22-24mpg

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
A couple of things but they do require work. First I'd remove the heads and have about .010" taken off of them. More compression equals more power. You can also clean up the ports a bit. It doesn't have to be a full blown port job, just clean them up. Then have a 3 angle valve job done.

Then I'd remove the pan and install a MAC windage tray. Most new cars are coming with a tray in one form or the other now. Even my wife's 05 2.2 liter Cobalt came with a windage tray. There is power being wasted by having the crank slop through oil.

Have you considered under drive pullies? There is horsepower there too.

I did recently read of a test involving the March Ram Air system. They ran the Mustang at high speed and did, in fact, have about 1/2 pound of pressure in the intake tract. It's not much but it's
better than nothing.

You can also look into a SCT switch chip. Most buyers are satisfied with their results.

You can also retard the cam timing by 4 degrees. This will move your power band up. The stock cam provides plenty of torque, you're needing more power and retarding the stock cam will extend the cam's useful RPM band.

These are just some ideas to maximize what you already have. I do expect to be flamed for some of these ideas but whatever.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Retro 5.0 sounds like our cars have a lot in common. What kind of roadway is your commute? mind is getting 22-24mpg
My commute is all highway. When I had the 2.73 gears I would get 24 mpg. 3.73 gears and the sticky tires really woke mine up after I installed all of the other parts. Mine really needs a camshaft though. It runs out of steam at 5,000 rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts