Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I am losing coolant and my cobra is running at 220 constantly. It runs as high as 240 with the AC on. I don't have coolant in my oil. Also, don't see any leaking anywhere. Still have stock radiator and pump. 180 t-stat that does work. Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may just need a new rad cap. If its bad it will let steam out--hence you loose coolant.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Make sure your radiator/condenser cores are clean. If it's clogged with road crap, your car won't cool at all. Also, check to make sure that you are not barfing coolant out of the tail pipe. (Blown head gasket)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Is your fan working? (1995 recall..)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there does not appear to be any steam coming out of my cap. It will reach 220 just idling. Yes the fan works, and the radiator is clean. There is a very little white smoke from the pipes but the plugs look good.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm getting the same problem sometimes. I'm not losing coolant but my car would get really hot for no reason and its erratic. Sometimes it would be fine and then get really hot and then cool down immediately.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had a problem like this and it was the exhaust. I wasn't losing coolant but the engine ran like crap. The car got to where it didn't rev over 3000 rpms. The cat was clogged and it had back pressure causing the engine to overheat. It would run really cool for about a mile and then jump to almost overheating. Might be the problem and i think just checking that would be cheaper than anything else.
shane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts