Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally went to install my JBA headers and X pipe knowing that it would be a hard job from all the threads I've read about it. I thought the top starter bolt was going to be hard to get out but I got it out fine with 2 6" extensions (I could see it through the wheel well to line up the socket).

Anyway, now I can't get the stater to come out. I can get a big screw driver in as a pry bar from the bottom or in the side from the wheel well but it feels like the starter is hitting the motor mount on the block as it rocks up and apparently into the mount instead of going forward and out. It opens about a 1 inch gap on the bottom but only opens aboit a 1/4 inch gap on top. It doesn't go forward and out.

Please give me your suggestions about how to get this thing out. I can't do anything until it's out.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Um, dude, don't go prying on it with a screw driver. It comes out, you just have to massage it around a bit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine practically fell out when the last bolt came out. There shouldnt be any obstructions at all inside tranny area. There is only a small gear and the end of the starter. Make sure both cables are disconnected. Battery and ground

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SVT 2402

That wasn't a stupid question, I didn't have all the bolts out! I only had 2 bolts out. I never thought there could be another bolt completey out of sight and almost beyond your ability to find it. What sort of deranged mind would put another bolt in that place?

I wonder how many 4.6 Mustangs are driving around with only 2 bolts holding in thier starters? I can't inagine getting that top bolt back in.

Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Robert98GT said:
SVT 2402

I wonder how many 4.6 Mustangs are driving around with only 2 bolts holding in thier starters? I can't inagine getting that top bolt back in.

lol, many my friend. its basically shop procedure at the dealer i work at :)

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Robert98GT said:
SVT 2402

That wasn't a stupid question, I didn't have all the bolts out! I only had 2 bolts out. I never thought there could be another bolt completey out of sight and almost beyond your ability to find it. What sort of deranged mind would put another bolt in that place?

Thanks to all for your help.
[rasing hand] Muahahahaha!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mine only has 2 bolts holding it in, it only had 2 in to begin with... interesting. Did they change this in '99?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yep! I hate that top bolt. Mine now only has two bolts in it. Life is too short to struggle with that PITA.

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
that top bolt is a *****, you can leave it out if ya want, just make sure the bottom 2 are tight.....

the best way to get at the top one is put an extension with a wive in between the block and the k member right below the exhaust manifold, dont go therough that hole in the k member like you did for the bottom 2 bolts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used a 3ft extension and a universal joint and slid through by the air pump....the ratched was out by the sway bar....no problem. I just had to use a small mirror to get the socket on the bolt...My thinking is that they put 3 bolts on it for a reason, so I dealt with it........:joy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
My old '96 is running around with only 2 bolts......in the 3 hours it took me to find that bolt and get it out the h e (double hockey sticks) if I am going to deal with putting it back in.....not worth it!! I never had an ill effects from running 2 bolts...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.