Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have tried and tried to get the top nut loose on my front struts so i can install koni adjustable. I have the largest screw drive that i can find, i use a vise grip to hold that from turning and then i use a 13/16 wrench to try and break the bolt loose. i am a strong guy and even with me holding the center still and a friend turning the nut i cannot break the nut loose. we have basicly ruined the slot the screw driver fits into and i am at wits end? we have tried with the strut compressed and decompressed. i have tapped sprayed etc. please ANY ADVICE. is there a special tool for this other than a massive flat head? the back ones where easy to do but the fronts are crazy. HELP:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used an impact wrench and pulled the strut to the side to help hold the shaft from turning. The nuts are self locking nuts and can be a real pain in the [email protected]#$!#@:evil:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
indeed they are indeed they are. i dont have impact so i am up a creek i guess. i love it when people just say to "remove the nut" when describing this procedure. not even header installs have pissed me off this bad. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took my dremel and ground 2 of the sides of the shaft flat, until I could fit a wrench on it anyways. Then it came off no problem;).

·
Registered
517 Posts
I may be wrong, but I didnt think you had to take that nut off to get the strut out. At least you dont on the SN95s. That way you could take the two out and take it over to a shop and have them remove it, if you need any of the old stuff on the stock strut

·
Premium Member
15,786 Posts
Unload the tension on the strut.

Take a dremal tool and cut the nut up one side, and down the oposite side. then simply knock the two halves free of the threads, and pull the strut out of the washer.

You get new nuts with the new struts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I say cut the sum *****es off!

You can also use a simple hacksaw, make two downward cuts that just intersect. Then you can just knock the rest off. Give up on untwisting them, it'll never happen.

Vernon

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot guys , at this point i am ready to do the hack saw trick but i owe the stock ones to my friend so i am reluctant to hack them. i will try and have a shop impact them off but the car has no motor in it right now,LOL so i am stuck at the garage.
THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEA's
paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine came off my 86 (RIP) with an impact wrench in about 5 seconds, no problem at all. now as for the back shocks.........this is NY, they get all ****ted up..took 4 cracked sockets, a bent breaker bar, 2 tanks on the torch, about 6 gallons of sweat, 3 pints of blood, and more obscenities than a Steven Lynch show. (If you dont know him...contact me, he IS the funniest man in the world)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.