Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, got my car back together for the meantime. 1989 Lx coupe 5.0. Car was an auto with slight modifications...65mm TB and Spacer, 73 MM Vortch mass air w/ 12" K&N filter, Shorty equal lentghs, off road Hpipe, chip, underdrives, accel coil, and hypertech chip, 155 LPH pump, ADJ reg.

Motor swap and T-5 conversion. 92 GT Motor with slightly ported E7's. Wolverine 1087 Cam, Explorer intake w/1 inch spacer, 65MM TB and spacer, Mac 1 5/8 longtubes, Offroad Short Hpipe, underdrives, K&N 12" open air filter, 73 MM vortech mass air meter, stock injectors, 155 LPH pump, adj reg.

The drivablitly of this car sucks. Milelage really sucks. It bucks erractically anywhere below 2000 RPM. It doesn't really make any power until 3500-3800. I know I still have the stock heads, as these will be changed later. The thing pulls like hell on the top end, I don't think it stops. I took out the chip and Auto computer when I put the five speed in.Put the A9L in. If I downshift coming to a stop the car will die. If I press in the clutch and use the brakes to stop in will stay running. It idles terriable (I Know it it will rumble, but it surges like hell. Runs very rich at idle. I've played around with the fuel press and don't know where it should be. I had to make O2 sensor extensions becuase of the longtubes.

I didn't have these problems when the stock motor and tranny were in. I know the cam is a little on the big side, but is this causing all my problems? I don't know of anyone running a 1087 cam. I have an E303 cam I can put it.

I also removed most of the smog equipment. Plugged the back of the heads. Removed smog pump and disconnected the Tad Tig selonoids. I did this on my 86 and had no problems.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as of right now I don't know where to start.

You can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'd say make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up correctly, sounds like a vacuum problem to me but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i agree that might be vacuum. also double check those 02 sensor extentions? if it gets power when its at wot and not driving normal maybe the 02 signals are garbaged

·
Registered
673 Posts
also double check those 02 sensor extentions? if it gets power when its at wot and not driving normal maybe the 02 signals are garbaged
I don't know, my 02's are garbage, in fact they aren't even plugged in right now, and my car runs pretty good. I will be the first to admit that I have been wrong on numerous occasions though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts