Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to swap out my solid rear for a Cobra IRS and would like to know if it's true that it is a complete bolt on switch.... has anybody out there done this or know? All help would be appreciated.......... thanks, Kevin

[email protected]

·
Registered
788 Posts
IRS SWAP

The only kicker is you need the Cobra exhaust when you use an IRS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.........that makes me more hopeful cause I'm going to attempt this on my own...... I kinda figured on the Cobra exhaust......probably going to have to weld on some new hangers huh, or just get dumps? thanks again, Kevin

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well, there are a couple of alterations needed for the swap.
One, The mounting bracket at the rear of the subframe needs two more holes in the frame where it can be mounted. This can be accomplished any of several ways. Some weld nuts to a piece of metal and fish it through the frame rail. Some drill through the trunk. And some weld the bracket from underneath the car.
The second thing is the brake flexlines. They cross the frame rail just above the upper control arm. You have to reroute them somehow or replace with some steel braided lines.
I installed a 2001 IRS in my 96 Cobra. I had some custom lines made for the rear but haven't installed them yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts