Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Ford Mustang Lx 5.0 Convertible
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 89 Foxbody lx 5.0 convertible that for real has been peiced together.. has flat tappet cam firing order is 15426378 but has 5.0 ho block lol well my Distributor Cap has a wobble to it.. basically it would run like crap on backroads and hesitate under loads.. i taped it down really good and it fixed it.. you could tell a difference in the engine idle but pushing down on cap.. now i am just gonna buy a new distributor and been doing research.. whats some differences i should know.. what do i look for on my old distributor to tell.. im not a mechanic but i have been learning and will say this car always surprises everyone that looks at it even really good foxbody experts.. lol even bought new plugs for it and asked for 89 lx 5.0 plugs at autozone cuz thats what the block is for.. put them in and relized that my threads are longer and the ones i bought wouldnt fit.. so yeah... also the drivetrain says 80 mustang on it.. has an 8.8 rear end and i think a c4 trans not sure also it is an automatic.. lol so anyhelp would work im also getting a code 91 when i test codes using koer but did a cylinder balance test and came back woth 9 meaning cylinders all good.. smh 154 firing order using an a9p ecu and the codes are telling me its all good... oof this fox outsmarts people and is slick and sly...

·
Registered
24,572 Posts
how do you mean wobble in the cap?

your ecm injector firing order is for HO

·
Registered
1989 Ford Mustang Lx 5.0 Convertible
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you mean wobble in the cap?

your ecm injector firing order is for HO
Cap feels lose like really lose and it bucks and snatches but taped it down really good and it stopped... lol told you this fox is weird when trying ho and 351 firing order (13726548) it will backfire and sound like lawn mower.. 15426378 runs perfect has lots of power... found tdc several times timed it to 10 btdc etc.. i know cam determines firing order.. and know the ecm or ecu tells injectors to fire.. it may have ecu tuned idk.. gave up on trying to found out why

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If your fox has the non ho firing order, that would be the first time I’ve ever seen that. Take a picture of how the wires sit on the distributor now.

There’s no “tuned ecu”, unless there’s a quarterhorse chip hanging out of the port then it’s going to have the stock firing order. Maybe take us a picture of the whole eec so we can see if anything is there.

What heads does the car have in it now? That’ll dictate which plug you need.

·
Registered
24,572 Posts
Cap feels lose like really lose and it bucks and snatches but taped it down really good and it stopped... lol told you this fox is weird when trying ho and 351 firing order (13726548) it will backfire and sound like lawn mower.. 15426378 runs perfect has lots of power... found tdc several times timed it to 10 btdc etc.. i know cam determines firing order.. and know the ecm or ecu tells injectors to fire.. it may have ecu tuned idk.. gave up on trying to found out why
it can still run with incorrect injector order

how much work is it, to pull the valve covers and confirm the cam events???

verify, and tell us what you have

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
You’ve made this post multiple times on multiple forums and FB. The response has always been that you need to roll up your sleeves and identify what you have. As far as I can see, you haven’t done this.

if you can’t do it, take some good pics up close of various components. For example, the corners of the heads (T for E7tE, S for E6SE) or a pic of the injector harness to see if it’s been rewired. Those would be clues a non-ho short or long block was swapped in (although 1986 HOs did use E6) or not.

a good suggestion was also made to pull a valve cover and verify timing events. This would really answer the question once and for all.

We can’t speculate why your car has a non-HO firing order without that sort of info as well. It shouldn’t unless parts have been swapped. That needs to be looked into and either verified, or ruled out.

Reactions: indy2000
1 - 7 of 7 Posts