Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. here's the deal. Yesterday I noticed my fuel pressure would drop and then go back up, so my first reaction was it was fuel pump etc. Today I got in the car it started right up and I took off and by the time I reached the corner of my street the car died completely.

I turned the key to see if the fuel pump would cycle, but it didn't. Not only that, but the car wouldn't even turn over. The battery is fine, lights and wipers and stuff work. Starter wires all look to be fine, but when I checked my ignition wires 2 of them going to a connector had fried on the driver side header.

I cut the bad parts of the wires out and reconnected them and still the car will not turnover. Did I fry my ignition? The red led light on the ignition does not turn on. HELP !!

·
Registered
22 Posts
What red light? have you checked the coil with a test light it should pulse as you are cranking it if no pulse, ign. module or pick-up coil. something else is, is one of the wires that fried not a wire but a fuesable link (they can be hard to tell if bad sometimes) because as far as lights coming on and stuff does not take hardly any juice to do that. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a light to check the coil. The light that I'm referring to is on the ignition and it is usually on when the key is turned, but it's not. The car is getting power, but will not turnover nor will the fuel pump cycle. Checked all fuses and they are all good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
not a fuse but fuseable link going to starter. take test light to small wire on solonoid f side ground it turn switch to on postion if it lites up maybe a ground if it does not light up maybe ign. switch not lock and key part but part on colum.
get a test or find a friend with one. it makes this kinda thing alot easier and they are only a few bucks wal-mart probably has them hope this might help

·
Registered
24,758 Posts
What wires were close to the header? Charging wires?
The melting of wires on the headers probably caused the circuit to short as the engine is grounded. Need specifics on where the wires are coming from and where they are going and the colors. Then i can look it up and determine if a fuse or a link was affected.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well , figured out the problem. I had a blown fuse which wasn't allowing my fuel pump to turn on or the ignition to get power. I replaced the fuse and still the car would not do anything. It led me to think towards the starter, so I hopped in and let the car roll out of the driveway and popped the clutch and boom !! It started right up ! I shut the car off and tried to start it and nothing. I guess a new starter is better than a new ignition. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I took the starter to Kragen and it's fine. I guess the next thing that I'm going to do is check the ignition in the steering column. Any other suggestions? Keep in mind the car is able to be push started.

·
Registered
24,758 Posts
did you read my post?
could be starter solenoid.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indy 2000, I had the starter and selenoid tested at Kragen and they said that everthing was fine. The wire that burned was red coming from my Crane ignition going to the stock wiring harness.

·
Registered
24,758 Posts
When you replaced the fuse did the fuel pump come on in the Run position?
I'm assuming the red wire from the Crane is HOT, is it switched or allways hot. And to where specifically is it connected to in the ignition.

I suspect you've blown one or more fusable links that are near the starter solenoid, hence no start signal to the solenoid.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The key was off when I put the new fuse in, so I don't know if the fuel pump came on in the run position. The red wire from the crane is a thin red wire that goes to the connector along with a white wire. Together they plug into the stock ignition wiring. The main hot wire from the crane was untouched. I have pics, but forgot my mustang mods password, so I can't post them.

·
Registered
24,758 Posts
What do you mean stock ignition wiring?
More specifically, to what exactly. eg. coil, ign switch, TFI.
I'm not familar with crane products. Does the crane have a safety fuse? Is it possible to disconnect the crane and run the factory ign?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
24,758 Posts
Try the stock setup, if nothing then you have blown fusible link(s),
before the solenoid.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already tried the stock one and nothing. How do I trace for blown fusable links?

·
Registered
24,758 Posts
Connected to the + side of the starter solenoid. About 12 inches down. This is on your 89 right, as the 94+ mustangs have fuses in place of the fusable links. You'll see what looks like thick wire with various colors that denote the fusable guage. ie brown, blue.
in fact the main hot wire is yellow and will branch into 4 smaller fusable linked wires, brown in color if memory serves me.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry. It's on the 95. All the fuses are fine, but there are 2 large silver ones under the dash that you can't see through, so I have no way of telling if they are bad.

·
Registered
24,758 Posts
Allright. that changes things abit.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any ideas now?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts