Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it looks like I am going to be able to start buidling up my 331 shortblock pretty soon and I already have the head intake cam combination picked out also which will hopefully soon follow after the engine is built!!!

It will be a 331

Sportsman Block
Scat crank (not sure wich one to choose because I dont understand strokers that great)
JE Pistons - want to create 10.5/1 compression with AFR 185 Heads
Need help with rod selection and everything else that would complete a short block.
Also should I use a windage tray?? If so which one and which aftermarket oil pan!!

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine follows along those lines, except for the block. I would use the 5.4 Eagle 4340 rod and the 3.25 Scat crank 4340. Check my sig might help a little. good Luck :joy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What Block are you using. I am opting to use this block as I am hoping for 340 - 350 RWHP NA + a 100 shot of nitrous at the track and I dont want to push the stock blocks limitations!!! Do you think that my expectations would be pushing the stock block?!?!?! Or is there anything I can do like get better caps or something to make the stock block more prone to holding the power????

Thanks!! Also I am not exactly looking to do the stage III port and polish on my heads just box stock (except for maybe some milling if needed to obtain my comrpession ratio) but what is your idle quality like. I want to get Ed Curtis to do my cam but I woudl like to keep as close to stock with a small thumpy idle while still obtaining the numbers I described. You thinking Im dreaming a little to hard???

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am confident my combo is making 350+ rwh you will be okay with a stock block and a 100 shot. If you do use a stock block put a girdle on it and use all forged internal parts. If you plan on pushing more than 550-600hp then I would definately go an aftermarket block. I believe Street Power EFI 331 is makeing like 370 rwh and also running a 140 shot on top of it....Mine idles great by the way....I drive this car every day with no problems. Good luck....any more questions just ask....:joy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of girdle are you using or would you recommend??? I have heard so many flip flop stories about these things and would like to hear some good solid evedence that they help!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
My whole short block is from Ford Performance Solutions in anaheim CA.. 1-714-773-9027 talk to Troy if you can. Tell him Jason Miller from Sacramento CA. sent you and he should be able to give you a good deal. I always tell him I will send people his way.... My girdle is a steel design, they also make windage trays for them now. www.f-p-s.com I personally prefer a steel girdle over alluminum.... It just bothers me how they expand at different rates. I don't know how much of a difference their is, but I felt better staying with steel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts