Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BBK LONGTUBES AND CE LIGHT ON - Please look again...

Please read my second thread below this one....

I JUST HAD BBK LONGTUBES AND OFF-ROAD H-PIPE PUT ON MY 98 COBRA. I HAVE MIL ELIMINATORS ON THE CAR. MY "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT CAME ON THIS MORNING. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME DRIVING THE CAR AFTER THE HEADERS AND PIPE WERE PUT ON. THE GUY WHO PUT THE HEADERS ON ELIMINATED THE EGR TUBE (I THINK THAT'S WHAT IT'S CALLED) BECAUSE HE SAID WITH OFF-ROAD PIPES YOU DON'T NEED IT. IS THIS TRUE? IS THIS CAUSING THE LIGHT TO COME ON? THE GUY SAID HE COULD PUT THE EGR TUBE BACK IN IF HE HAD TO. IS THIS THE SOLUTION, OR COULD I HAVE BAD MIL ELIMINATORS? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT'S THE ELIMINATORS, THOUGH. ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS???

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yes, the EGR will throw a MIL. Yes it could be the MIL eliminators, and also you could have damaged an O2 sensor during the install, could have an an exhaust leak, or also there is another issue with long tubes and the rear O2's. Someone else will have to post in on this but I think they had to put a chip on to alter some of the rear O2 tests related to the sensor functionality (not the OBDII tests...).

So, you will have to re-hookup the EGR or turn that test off, then see what codes you get. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If you have an EEC Tuner you can reduce the # in the Emissions Test section to remove the Air Pump from working. Personally I would hook the EGR fitting back up.

The Air tubes don't really do much for you once you run O/R pipes, but I still hooked mine back up so I didn't have to deal with the Check Engine light. I would have him hook the EGR tube back up, otherwise you will have to do some fairly in-depth tuning to remove the EGR system from the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I WENT AND TALKED TO THE GUY WHO DID THE WORK, AND HE CONFIRMED THAT THE EGR IS IN PLACE. THAT WAS MY MISTAKE. I DID, HOWEVER, CONFIRM THAT THE AIR TUBES ARE NOT. HE SAID I DEFINITELY DO NOT NEED THOSE BECAUSE OF THE O/R PIPES, AND THAT NOT HAVING THOSE WOULD NOT TRIGGER THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. IS THIS TRUE OR NOT? WILL NOT HAVING THESE AIR TUBES TURN THE LIGHT ON? I'M THINKING ABOUT BUYING A CODE READER TO CLEAR THE CODES AND PINPOINT EXACTLY WHAT'S CAUSING IT (I.E. BAD MILS, BAD O2S, ETC.), ANY SUGESSTIONS ON WHAT READER TO GET? WHERE? HOW MUCH? I DO NOT OWN A LAPTOP, JUST HAVE MY DESKTOP HERE AT WORK.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If the EGR is not hooked up you will throw a CE light especially the egr tube that connects to the back of the header on the driver side, that EGR tube runs directly to the EGR on the intake hat. The reason Ford did this is for emissions, it re-uses the exhaust gases and re introduces through the intake system, supposedly it helps to cool the cylinder head temp and piston temps..But who really knows..DA Snake Boy!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.