Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rear out of an 88 turbo coupe. I am trying to rebuild the brakes before installing it in my 90 LX. Everything is straight forward except the slide pins that the calipers bolt to are completely frozen solid. I have been soaking them in penetrator for about a week now. I have managed to get one loose and the other three have become one with the caliper bracket and show no sign of loosening.

Any words of wisdom?

Anyone experience the same problem?

Does Ford still stock the slide pins and brackets?

Please help! I can't install the rear until I get this fixed!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
please!!!

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
have you tried heating them up?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet. That is definitely my next option.

If I am able to get them loose how do i prevent this from happening in the future? Would a little bit of grease on the slide pin hurt anything?

·
Registered
105 Posts
:cool:a couple of months ago i read that someone had that problem the he said the guy before had used red threadlocker on the pins. you can go to the parts store and get replacements. wagner and bendix both make them. you said you used penetrating oil on them, did you take a hammer(no kidding) and strike the face of the pins. shock plays an element in freeing them up. give it a try. :joy:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have beat on them. Put the bracket in a vice and pried turned everything.....

They won't budge.

I ordered replacement pins Saturday. They should be in today. I just can't get the old ones out!

This sucks!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would take the rear end into a brake shop and pay them to do it. It cannot be that expensive and they have no doubt ran into this. Either that, or use an impact wrench. You'd be suprised what an impact can do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As common as this swap appears to be, i am surprised there have not been more people experience this problem.

Oh well, I will pm Matt90GT and see what he has to say.

Thanks for the info. If anyone else has any ideas I would be glad to hear them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
this is unfortunate, i had this same problem for maybe 2 months. i have since then fixed it. b/c of my brakes i have missed out on a lot of money here on the street.
it's a real quik fix, go to the junk yard and get those same brackets of 84-90 lincoln town car. i have found them for 5 dollars. it would be a good idea to replace both. both of mines were frozen and the more tried to loosen, the worse it got, until it broke. so junk yard, good price...

lilvicc

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know the towncar pieces would work. Thanks for the info. I will try to find the brackets in the junk yard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts