Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m running into a bit of a problem i own a 1993 Lx mustang and I’ve owned it for 3ish years now and Now that I’ve grown the confidence I’ve been messing with it I’m 18 by the way and I’m no expert but i want to figure out what rear end i have in my car because i know for sure it isn’t stock I’ve done some research and I’ve narrowed it down to a independent rear suspension I’ve tried doing donuts in a safe abandoned space but my car just can’t it slows down and i think my car does a one wheel peel i wanna know what I.R.S. I have and why it’s doing a one wheel peel any help is welcome
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bicycle part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have no idea how to post videos here but I have a video of doing a burnout and the drivers side throws out smoke like nothing but the right side barley has any smoke you could hardly tell it threw out smoke

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
It's probably the 01-04 cobra IRS. As illusive said. A diff clutch rebuild will fix the one wheel peel. Im a big fan of the Torsen differentials. After upgrading to one i don't think I'll ever have a standard tracloc 8.8 again in anything with power. Make sure it's not leaking from the front seal or axle seals. If it's just leaking from the cover, do a rebuild and get the Ford performance rebuild kit with carbon clutches. Able seals are easy, front seal you will need to do some extra work.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Even if it's an 03/04 Cobra IRS, the stub shafts are the weak-link and tend to break with traction and power from a dead stop. The 99 IRS is worse with the 28 spline shafts and the 01 is not much better even with 31 spline shafts. There are all kinds of ways to strengthen the early stock IRS but plan on spending money. Meanwhile, tread gently until you get the leak and trac-loc repaired. The stock IRS is not as robust as stick axles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts