Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 GT and I have installed a new heater core, 190 stat, hoses and my heater will not blow hot, heck it wont even blow warm. I have checked the hoses and they are not plugged. The temp guage will not even go above the L on normal. Anyone have any suggestions that I may have overlooked? This car in single digit temps just flat out sucks!!! If you have any idea please help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Since your car is not warming up as indicated by the temp reading on your gauge, it must be the thermostat. With the themostat stuck open or partially open or drilled for bypass ( I had on of these once from Stewarts and my car never warmed up!) the car while driving in cold temperatures outside will never get warm.

Get a brand new 195 degree stock replacement thermostat and that should fix you problem.

Rick

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already tried 2 new thermostats. neither one changed. This is why I am at a loss. It makes no sence to me at all. it should be working.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It is possible then that you have such a good
coolant system that the radiator is cooling the water down too efficiently when it is extremely cold outside.

I know that truck drivers in cold weather block off their radiators so that the trucks will warm.

Try and put a piece of cardboard up to block the radiator, drive around, and see if you can raise the water temp. Once your water temp is raised you should have heat.

If this works you have too much air flow going through your radiator. You would then need to:
1) Block off the radiator during the winter months.
or
2) Get an electric fan to cycle on and off as necessary.

A buddy of mine has an electric fan on his 5.0 and during the winter months it hardly ever kicks on.

Good Luck,
Rick

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
You simply need to "burp" the rest of the air out of the system, the core is probably vapor-locked.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I second the 'Burping' theory. Take the cap off when cold and start the engine. These things generate a great amount of heat. Turn the heater on high and just wait for bubbles to dislodge. you may need to fluctuate the engine rpms from idle to 3000 rpms to help free the bubbles, but just wait, and they'll show up. Once they do, just keep filling the system. When you're done. Put the cap back on and fill the over flow. Drive it around for a while and monitor the over flow level. Make sure your cap is holding proper pressure. If your unsure, just go get a new one. Cheap insurance.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
795 Posts
badAOD said:
It is possible then that you have such a good
coolant system that the radiator is cooling the water down too efficiently when it is extremely cold outside.
That is what a thermostat is for... No flow through radiator, unless water temp hits 180, 190, 195, etc.... I don't think you can have TOO good a cooling system. Overkill maybe, but not too good.

:confused:

·
Registered
364 Posts
It may also be that you put the thermostat in backwards (not trying to sound like a one hit wonder but hey).

See the other post about what does a 190 thermostat do for performance.

Vernon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts