Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I replaced my heater core about a month and a half ago - it was leaking. I replaced all of the hoses and clamps as well. I got into it this morning only to see that it is leaking once again. Any thoughts? I read a post about electrolysis (sp?). The guy I bought it from definitely did some shotty work here and there, so I suppose it is possible. I don't even know how to check for that though. I put in a copper/brass heater core to replace the crappy aluminum one that was in there.

Thoughts? Help!

Thanks in advance!
-John

·
Registered
399 Posts
i seem to remember a friend of mine that worked for ford having a simular prob on a police car they were working on. it had to do with the electrical grounds on the motor i think. one was missing or broke. after fixing that, no more problem. electrical sys was grounding threw coolant. i would also check the new one good before you put it in. i saw an easy way on someone wed site. mustang steve maybe? used a bicycle inner tube.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Heater core

Not saying you did, but if you bought a cheap Ebay china piece then I am not surprised. Did one on my fox which is a 8 hour job and it leaked at start up! Never again!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does your car overheat or run in the hot side? I would make sure your thermostat is working properly, because it maybe building up to much pressure. I would buy a can of quality radiator flush and run it through the engine then remove the thermostat and flush the engine with water until water is clear, replace thermostat and Heater core with good quality pieces. No China crap.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
pull the heater core and check the seams closely. sometimes they crack and leak. you can resolder them if you have the patience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One mistake I made one time swapping cores on my ’66, was that I broke the seams while installing the heater hoses! Don’t forget that those tubes are only BRAZED ON. While installing the hoses, I made no effort to support the tubes, so I caused a hairline crack when forcing the hose on—which started to leak shortly after installation. So, the next time, I lightly greased the inside of the hose, and carefully attached the heater hoses before I secured the core, making sure to hold it in such a way that the mounting point of the tubes weren’t stressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.