Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to see my mechanic that will be installing my Hooker's LT on my 2001 GT and he recommended me to get a heat shield (it's some sort of fabric with a metal sheet inside that raps around the starter) for my starter since it will get very hot now after the LT. He said I might have problems starting the car sometimes if it gets too hot. Is he just saying that just to make a couple more buck for his friend that recommended me to him??? I understand that it will get a little hotter but I got ceramic coated headers to reduces the heat and also how much more heat am I producing from just installing LT on a pratically stock mustang??? I know it won't hurt me to install it but already the LT with the x-pipe and the installation is really pricey (2000$ canadian).

So my main question is, do you guys recommend me getting this heat shield or is it just something to put my mind at ease???

thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too have ceramic coated LT headers (Griggs) on my '97 Cobra and someone mentioned the same thing to me. In fact the options were to use aheat shield in the form of a fabric, or to change to a offset starter that would move it away from the headers.

I have yet to have a problem, but the car is basically only for OT these days. Those do get very hot I'm sure, but it has not caused a problem for me. When I mentioned this "idea" to someone at Griggs, I don't remember who, they said they haven't had to do that.

I'd be curious if anyone else out there has had a problem with LT headers on a modular motor.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the starter hard to get to once the LT are installed??? I don't really know where the starter is. Can I install the heat shield later on or would i have problems reaching it because of the LT are in the way???

thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
The starter is mounted on the passenger side on the front of the tranny bellhouse. I don't know if the sheild needs to be bolted in or wrapped around, but that top bolt is a punk to get to(on the starter)...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called SHM today and asked him if it was neccesary and he told me NO. He told me that they don't even put it on any of their cars. I just wanted to share it to everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts