Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. When I put the driver side head on I looked at the wrong mark when positioning the cam, I was looking at the raised mark and not the depressed mark. Should I lift the head off to position the cam at 11:00? or can I roll it back counterclockwise from 3:00 with the head on the block?

2. I need to raise the engine a few inches to slip the passenger side head/header in. The BBK instructions say to loosen the passenger side mount. I was thinking I should also loosen the driver side mount and the tranny mount in addition to the passenger side mount. Is it ok to just loosen one side, or should I loosen the both sides and the tranny?

3. What does this piece go to :confused: I didn't take off anything that looked anything like this, and it came with my headswap kit? New bracket for the back of the driver side head?

I think that's it ........ for now.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That is a 99+ alternator bracket. Question after you timed the cams why didnt you spin the motor over by hand to see if everythign was alright? You are going to have to get the crank in safe mode before you can turn the cam any. But it may be hard since you have the cam lined up wrong.

Dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave: I haven't put the timing "gear" on yet. The driver side is on and finger tight, I'm getting ready to drop the passenger side head/header right now. I'll torque both heads down at the same time, then put the timing "gear"/chains on.

Humm, alternator bracket? this sounds like something that isn't going to work right :lol:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Originally posted by SpringsStang
1. When I put the driver side head on I looked at the wrong mark when positioning the cam...can I roll it back counterclockwise from 3:00 with the head on the block?
Yes, but only if you can be sure the engine is in "safe mode". If you can get TDC, move the crank counterclockwise 45°.

2. I need to raise the engine a few inches to slip the passenger side head/header in. The BBK instructions say to loosen the passenger side mount. I was thinking I should also loosen the driver side mount and the tranny mount in addition to the passenger side mount. Is it ok to just loosen one side, or should I loosen the both sides and the tranny?
Whatever it takes to do the job. No harm by doing one side and not the other. I suppose if you went nuts you could tear one up by overstressing it, but it would probably take some abuse.
3. What does this piece go to :confused: I didn't take off anything that looked anything like this, and it came with my headswap kit? New bracket for the back of the driver side head?
Like Dave said, that's the new alternator bracket. It probably won't work for you because the mounting points for the alternator body are different for the newer cars. I had to modify my old bracket to make it work. Good luck.

·
Registered
338 Posts
SpringsStang said:

When I did this I left the drivers side bolted up, there is a ledge on the oil pan with all the oil pan bolts, put a small 2x4 facing up and down on that ledge and use that to raise the passenger side of the motor. You can get it pretty high, makes it a lot easier. The back header bolts are a pain to get in on the passenger side. Have fun. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The crank keyway is at 9:00 so it sounds like I should be ok. I think once the cam rolls over the previous lobe I'll be close to where I need to be. Do you happen to have pics of the installed alternator on your bracket?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
SpringsStang said:
The crank keyway is at 9:00 so it sounds like I should be ok. I think once the cam rolls over the previous lobe I'll be close to where I need to be. Do you happen to have pics of the installed alternator on your bracket?
The keyway should be at 315° (or 10:30) for the safe position. I don't have a picture of the bracket installed, since I'm having some downtime, but here is a picture of the bracket. I haven't enlarged the holes yet. They'll need to be moved closer together. Also, I removed the spacer from the back and kept it for reuse.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought 9:00 was "safe mode" and 10:30 was TDC, which is where you want to be when setting the timing?

Holy cow! I thought you meant just drilling some now holes. Good thing I got a new die grinder :eek:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
SpringsStang said:
I thought 9:00 was "safe mode" and 10:30 was TDC, which is where you want to be when setting the timing?
You know, that may be right. I'm thinking of the location of the mark on the pulley.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Juiced46 said:
keith, why did you have to modify the alternator bracket? My bracket bolted right up to the alt and the 99 intake without a problem.
I've got the '02 intake with the aluminum crossover. They changed the mounting point distances. The cutout I made (actually, I had a local machine shop cut it) was necessary to clear the electrical connections on the back of the alternator. I guess this only applies to SpringsStang if he's got the '02+ intake. Gotta love those folks at Ford... :blam: :curses:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PhatDoggy said:
I've got the '02 intake with the aluminum crossover. They changed the mounting point distances. The cutout I made (actually, I had a local machine shop cut it) was necessary to clear the electrical connections on the back of the alternator. I guess this only applies to SpringsStang if he's got the '02+ intake. Gotta love those folks at Ford... :blam: :curses:
yup 02 intake :rolleyes:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Dont sweat the timing its overrated just put the motor at 10% BTDC and have fun that is safe mode not sure where its located I just eyeballed the main reason for this is so all the pistons are below the deck it does not affect the timing at all get the pistons below the deck and close to the 10:00 or 9:00 position then install the heads, sprockets and gears then line it all up with the chains and you are done took me 15 minutes to time mine and it fired up first time, you dont need those crankshaft positioning toold either at least I did not as my gears were pressed on not bolted. Make sure that you turn the motor over by hand about 10 revolutions after your done to check for valve contact then fire it up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts