Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of doing the headswap...P&P 01' heads, ModMax oversized vales, reground cams 540/540 222/222, ModMax spring kit, hooker lontubes x pipe and bullits. My question is i have FMS 4.10s sitting in my room which we be installed after the headswap, but i wonder if i could get away with more gear. It seems everyone has 410s these days and was wondering if 430s would be to much. I know i will be able to handle the revs with my stonger valvetrain and daily driving i can manage, so it just comes down to performance. how much harder will the 430's pull? thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, the car is a 5 speed

·
Registered
82 Posts
With daily drivin in Plano the most youd want is 4.10's !

·
Registered
679 Posts
I dont think it will improve your et alot just shift more.Bill went from 410 to 430 and got .03 improvement.I think thats what he said but with your cams maybe a little more.I have 410s and they work great its hard to get hooked in the street.Maybe if you could rev to 7000,430 or 456 would be worth it but I think 410s are great it moves.Maybe in the future Ill go with 456 and see if it drops some et,but I think you have to be able to rev real high to take advantage of the steeper gears.
JOEL

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Maybe you should wait until after you get a dyno run to select gears. That way, you'll know exactly where your power band is and that should be helpful in picking gears. If you can rev to 7K, and don't plan on a power adder, and like drag racing, I say SCREW IT AND GET 4.56s! :D

If you want to get a power adder in the future, I'd keep the 4.10s (I'll be swapping to those shortly, and plan on a power adder).

If I was going to stay N/A, I would get no less than 4.30s.

This is all just my personal opinion, BTW, and I have no first hand experience so take my advice with a grain of salt. :)

-Pat

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright 430s it is
:)
p.s SD, did you get those heads shipped ? thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts