Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have 155,000 miles on a 5.0 lx that I just bought, an I was wonder if it is worthwile to invest in a set of quality aftermarket heads, headers, and intake. The engine seems to be in perfet condition and is bone stock, besides oem replacements i.e. water pump, radiator etc. What type of gains in t.q. and h.p. should I expect. Btw, the car does not smoke upon startup or driving in any way. I do have a slight exhaust leak at the headers, so I will probably be doing an entire exhaust replacement.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Yes it would be very worthwhile to upgrade your h/c/i. Your car will gain a ton of power (100rwhp).

But you have to take the good with the bad. Small problems may arise like a constant surging at idle, vacuum leaks, etc. These are all correctable of course, but it just seems anyone who goes through modifying their car will run into them eventually.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage of your motor, they're pretty durable and can go a long way. I just did h/c/i at 135K miles, no problems with the shortblock at all.

Greg

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good news. I was concerned how the hi mileage would affect the performance upgrades, but if I can possibly gain 100 hp, thats awesome. If I do the labor myself, how much total should I expect to pay on I/H/C? What type of 1/4 should I be running before and after? I just got her, so I have not had the time to take her to the track yet.
Also, how many tenths should I pick up with a set of 3.73. I do have a manual, but have been driving them for almost 10 years, so skill level is not an issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I did my h/c/i swap I had 120K on my engine. It's rare to hear about anybody having trouble with the short block on mild combinations like a run of the mill h/c/i swap. The stock heads are what wears out in a high miles engine.

Beau

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
millhouse said:
Thats good news. I was concerned how the hi mileage would affect the performance upgrades, but if I can possibly gain 100 hp, thats awesome. If I do the labor myself, how much total should I expect to pay on I/H/C? What type of 1/4 should I be running before and after? I just got her, so I have not had the time to take her to the track yet.
Also, how many tenths should I pick up with a set of 3.73. I do have a manual, but have been driving them for almost 10 years, so skill level is not an issue.
It depends on whether you buy new or used. Heads vary in price from $400 (GT40 style) all the way to $1200+(AFR, TW, Edelbrock).

Intakes run from $400+porting if done.

Figure at least a couple of grand, probably closer to 3K with all the supporting hardware (tb, maf, exhaust, rr, cam, etc.)

It can be done cheap if you like to shop around, but it's still going to cost some money. Doing the work yourself will save you a ton in labor costs. Hope you're at least a little knowledgeable on 5.0's.

A typical h/c/i car set up right should range from high 11's (rare) to mid 12's (more common) all the way to low 13's (usually street tire runs).

3.73's is a good start provided you have traction (no peg leg). Some people will actually go slower due to the unusable first gear (exception with slicks/drag radials).

Good luck.

Greg

·
Registered
235 Posts
It should not take you $3K to buil dup everything on your engine. Just shop around. You can get a used set of aluminums for $700 or get some good irons. I got my complete engine with 60K miles on is for around $1050, then sold the intake for $200, and mine had h/c/i tb, distributer, all kinds of stuff. Good luck and keep lookign if u do not find a good deal.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
X88&94GT said:
It should not take you $3K to buil dup everything on your engine. Just shop around. You can get a used set of aluminums for $700 or get some good irons. I got my complete engine with 60K miles on is for around $1050, then sold the intake for $200, and mine had h/c/i tb, distributer, all kinds of stuff. Good luck and keep lookign if u do not find a good deal.

I have some GT40's for sael for $450 + shipping but I will take an offer if you are interested.

Good luck.
Your right it shouldn't be 3K if you shop around, but for all brand new stuff than yes 3K is a good estimate.

Greg

·
Registered
528 Posts
dart sr with a good bowl blend and general clean up, edelbrock rpm intake, roller rockers, 70mm tb, an extreme energy cam and as much compression that pump gas will support (10:1) and you will have a hot motor. i have run really high milage motors with fresh top ends for years no sweat. you will stress the compression rings more with a new valve job that new heads have (duhh) but it will be fine. i had a friend who squezzed 150 shot through his 245,000 mile motor for years.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the replies. It seems that an intake is pretty safe to buy uesed(as long as it isn't cracked), but isn't it kind of risky though buying used heads? Does it require new springs, rockers etc.? Should you expect the same type of performance out of used heads as new ones? What would be the reason the person selling the heads be anyways?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Roast'em said:

Holley systemax sells for 2k, brand new
That's true but then you have to buy a throttle body, roller rockers, injectors w/ matching meter, etc.

Plus a little extra for the problems you will run into. Because we all know nothing ever goes according to plan.

Greg

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plus a little extra for the problems you will run into. Because we all know nothing ever goes according to plan.
That makes me laugh. Isn't it the truth though. It seems whenever I work on my cars, somthing little turns into a weekends worth of cussing and bloody nuckles. That's why a second vehicle is a must.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts