Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i know the answer but I want to ask anyway.

What would be better? TFS heads, cam & intake or a 9 psi Vortech? Both would be installed on a stock engine. I will install shorty headers on either setup. Going the head route is about $300-400 cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris

·
Registered
992 Posts
It's been covered before. Do a search and you'll find all the info you'll need...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
H/C/I.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks, i was leaning tward the H/C/I.

Thanks

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
supercharger .... i installed a vortech on my stock as hell 94 and it totally rocked...

later i had just the trickflow heads, intake and e cam, and it didnt feel nearly as strong as when i had my vortech on.. so i put it back on ... so now i have a h/c/i/SC car

·
Corral Charter Member
3,744 Posts
I'm going with H/C/I on this one.

The blower has a "coolness" bonus, but any decently thought out HCI car will beat a stock+blower car.

Steve

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LXguy said:
I'm going with H/C/I on this one.

The blower has a "coolness" bonus, but any decently thought out HCI car will beat a stock+blower car.

Steve
decently thought out? Have you looked at the Trick Flow EFI kit?

·
Registered
538 Posts
The s-trim will make more power, more torque, and will just plain be faster than the H/C/I. Also, your driveability will be better with the blower as you will still have the nice smooth stock cam.

The only disadvantages for the blower are that you add weight with the blower, where you subtract weight with the HCI.

Being that I've had both, I vote for the blower.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,739 Posts
The blower forces air down the motor's throat so hard, it almost doesn't matter how restrictive the induction and exhaust is. Obviously, you'll make more power with H/C/I + blower, but the blower on a stock system overcomes its inadequacies in a real hurry! If I were to do it all over again, I would definitely have run the blower first.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Heads Cam Intake. = harder to do.
Super charger = easy to do.

Are you going to do the work your self.
I would rather have a 302 with HCI. Nothing sucks like having a blower car and losing to a N/A car.

I get accused of having a blower all the time.

Another way to look at it, if you know you will eventually have both. You will probably need a new block. So do the SC now, then ,just do the whole motor later.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, what kinda of nunbers (HP/TRQ) can i expect with a blower or H/C/I ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
A good solid H/C/I can do 300 rwhp and 320 ft-lbs.

A blower on a stock motor (with exhaust) will do about 320 rwhp and 340 ft-lbs. However, the blower car will have more power under the curve.

The H/C/I numbers are pretty accurate, but do a search for blower numbers, as I was estimating.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
At the track I was surprised to see many NA cars doing better than the blown cars.

Before the criticism comes, yes you can build a higher HP car with a blower.

NA cars are very reliable, if done right.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm not suprised at all as there a ton of variables which determine ET. It's not at all out of the question for a NA car to outrun a blown car, a stock car to outrun a HCI car, etc. At the track there are too many variables to base a "which one is better" comparison.

·
Registered
12,792 Posts
Drivability wise, I'd have to vote blower. They are very close to a stock car as far as drivability goes, and the power is pretty comparable to a h/c/i car.

However, it is kinda fun to have a h/c/i car pounding the ground, and then someone asking you "what size motor you got in that thing?"

Looking back, I kinda wish I had gone the blower route, but the big issue with the blower route is the up front cost. I basically did mine in stages, course I already had the intake. Did cam and heads at the same time. And install was done by myself, so the cost of heads and cam was signifcantly cheaper than a blower's cost.

I guess if it was me, I'd go blower first, then plan on the h/c/i, cause you know you'll eventually do them as well.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Toddzilla said:
A good solid H/C/I can do 300 rwhp and 320 ft-lbs.

A blower on a stock motor (with exhaust) will do about 320 rwhp and 340 ft-lbs. However, the blower car will have more power under the curve.

The H/C/I numbers are pretty accurate, but do a search for blower numbers, as I was estimating.
Holley systemax intake, novi 2k 10 psi and supporting blower mods did 386 rwhp and 390 rwtq. Stock heads and cam. Traps @ 114mph.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well then, do you guys think you need a forged crank or is a cast steel crank fine, for not more than 10psi?

My uncle had a 4.3L with a supercharger and intercooler and it put out 404HP to the wheels. GOd it was fast!!

·
Registered
12,792 Posts
I think that if you keep the rpms to a resonable level, a cast crank is just fine.

·
Registered
461 Posts
One of the advantages of having had my Coupe for 15years now is that the car has had many evolutions.
The h/c/I combination is hard to beat. I could run that gt-40 combo to death and it did not use parts, was a solid 12.30 combo, and it did not kill reliability or driveability.
However, having done the blower h/c/I thing as well, I must admit the blower is quite intoxicating. It is clearly going to make more power on a stock engine than the h/c/i alone.

If you are looking for the stock driveability then I recommend starting with the blower, and then slowly building a purpose built longblock for the blower as time and money allows.

I started with a new A-trim kit for 1600.00 and built it from there. I bought a good iginition (hi6tr), a t-rex, a 8rib kit, etc as money allowed. It was a great way to get the kit, and slowly as money allowed build it up to a HO kit. I eventually upgraded to a V-2 sq. You will spend the same money as just buying a S-trim kit new, but you can do it in stages and not dump the 2500-3000 all at once...

JMHO

·
Registered
640 Posts
If both are done properly it'll be close. They both take attention to detail. My heads/cam/intake package gets my vert to run pretty well, but I'm sure I'd do just as well if I had an S trim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts