Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished my install of my twisted wedge heads and fti cam today. i fired it up and it won't idle for nothing. next i notice that it is blue smoking like crazy! what the heck? it's never don't that before. the heads have been milled .040. i have a tfs track heat intake, do you think that i should have had it milled to fit? why is it burning oil now? well, hopefully someone else has dealt with this and can help me out. the new mods that i added are this,

Twisted wedge heads
FTI cam
24# injectors
c&l 73mm mass air
1.6 motorsport rockers

thanks alot

·
Registered
232 Posts
What kind of lift you got on that cam. And Blue usually means bad things.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lift is 507/512. i used 6.70 length pushrods. i don't think that it is anything too major, i mean, in the bottom end that is. it has never blue smoked until i tore into it. it has to have something to do with heads or intake, at least i would think.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You need to check all of the vacuum hoses around the intake and make sure the intake is torqued down enough. After we installed my brother's Trick Flow intake his car was putting out a lot of blue smoke. It turns out that it wasn't a good idea to follow Trick Flow's torque specifications:( . We ended up using the torque specs for the stock intake and there was no more smoke. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Blue smoke = oil burning
white = water/coolant or a ton of raw fuel, if coolant smells sweet
black = running rich usually will burn your eyes

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think that in the morning i am going to take the intake off and have it milled. i sure hope that fixes it. with the car not idling and burning oil, the only thing i can think of is that it is sucking oil through the intake gaskets into the heads. anyone ever had this happen? will this more than likely cure my problem? thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
well, this doesn't go a long way to explain your blue smoke, but in regards to your idle problem...

as others have alluded to - are you sure that you set your rocker arm "pre-load" correctly? that's what i would check after factoring out any vacuum related issues.

take care and good luck with your problem - let us know how it turns out.

greg

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i adjusted my rockers like this: went to zero lash, then turned them another 1/4 turn and locked down the polylocks. that is the correct way, right?

·
Registered
232 Posts
You shouldnt have to mil that intake. It should work fine. Maybe the increase/decrease in compression caused old rings to go.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pulled the lower off this morning. sure enough, it's seeping oil under the gasket and into the heads. now, i need help in knowing what to do. i just put the intake on about a month ago, so i thought i could reuse the old rubber gaskets, so that could be the biggest problem. so i'm going to buy new gaskets. should i use the rubber pieces that come in a gasket kit on the front and back of the intake or just use a real good bead of silicone? also, should i take my intake and have it milled .040? thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
Never reuse a used gasket. They are too cheap to risk having a problem such as yours. Are your heads new or used? Trickflow's used to have a reputation as oil consumers due to bad valve guides.

Also, if your intake was really allowing oil to leak in, then that is more than likely the cause of your idle problem too. Don't use the rubber or cork **** for the ends of the intake. Use a bead of silicone and be sure that it is clean enough to eat off of before you put it on.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What erik_94COBRA said. Don't use the end seals, use rtv instead (I made this mistake before). The end seals can "lift" the intake and not let it "seat" properly on the gasket, especially with your .040 milled heads. I'm surprized it wasn't leaking coolant too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts