Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I believe I may have headgasket problems...I noticed today that when I drive the car and park it, Coolant drips under the motor within seconds of stopping and shutting the car down..From what I can tell, the Coolant is seeping out under the #4 Spark plug near the base of the head/headgasket...Im not Certain if its leaking there at the headgasket but its looking like it..My luck:rolleyes: :mad: ....

What I cant understand about it is the car Runs Perfect and pulls Very hard like it always has and has a GOOD A/F ratio (11.2:1) at WOT verified by my LM-1....There is NO coolant in the oil, no Oil in the coolant, no Smoke/Antifreeze vapors in the exhaust ....???Nothing wrong but the coolant leaking/seeping seemingly at the headgasket...Im running the Felpro 1011-2s and have put quite a few hard miles on them..

Have any of you ever had a HG only blow out the Coolant passage of the HG to the outside of the head/block thus causing a leak but NOT cause any Ill effects to the motor like Coolant in the oil,loss of power,or smoke in the exhaust ??Thanks for any replies..

Jeff

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Jeff,

Check your plugs, any washed?

I was using the 1011-2's with the NOVI 1K @ 6lbs no problem, when I went to the ProCharger @ 14lbs the head gaskets gave up. The 1011-2's do not seem to like the high boost levels.

Anyhow I did not have ANY white smoke, leaking, ect.. but while checking my plugs I found one that was washed clean. Took the heads off and sure enough both were leaking.

Ian

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ian,

I haven't checked the plugs as of yet but I plan on it tomorrow.It will still Fire up and run/Drive perfectly and make Alot of power but it simply leaks the coolant..I will check it tomorrow..BTW, what Head gaskets did you end up using other than the 1011-2s?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Mine also drove great....

After the head gaskets blew I sold it intake to pan and went with the 408 :)

Ian

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the lower bolts were sealed.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,739 Posts
I think I have the same problem. I may have forgotten to seal one of the head studs near #4. My motor is eating coolant, although there's no white smoke, loss of power, or coolant in the oil. It's very, very annoying and I know I'm going to have to pull a head off the motor soon to fix it.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is leaking from where the Block and head meet at the gasket..Mine is Definately not coming from the Lower bolts..I couldn't get so lucky....:rolleyes: Still cant decide on which headgaskets to go with though...:mad:

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ian,

Is there a certain Cometic Part # for the late model 302 based motors?Also, can you buy them from Summit?Thanks..

Jeff

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes you blew the gasket on the outside towards the fender. I did it twice (2nd time probally more due to block being a lil warped from first.) Car an pretty damn good still, mid 10's never ran hot, no oil in antifreeze, no smoke etc... It would lose antifreeze over time though and would drip on side of the block. I blew mine on #7 cyl. Went to Cometics after that - they took ****load of abuse before i ate the #5 ring land Now i use copper w/ oring + receiver groove in head and they suckfor seepage lol

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
93TRANSAM,

Where did you buy the Cometic gaskets and did they have a specific Part # for them?

You said you would lose antifreeze over time, well mine will make a 12" puddle in about 5 minuites of Idling time..:eek: Its really pouring below the #4 Sparkplug..:mad: Im thinking my Block is absolutely Fine because that block is a Brand new Summit block.My heads were also Brand new when I built the motor..Im unsure whether I will have to mill the heads slightly to clean them up but I guess I will have to tear into it to find out..

Jeff

·
Registered
457 Posts
new does not mean it is alright!!!! You probably need new headgaskets,thats it . If you use cometic you must make sure the deck surface and head surface are smooth to a 50ra at least!!!!I am in the process of removing my receiver groove and getting some cometics if I am smooth enough!!! I got the tech info from cometic themselves!!!!Goodluck

·
Registered
539 Posts
You can order cometics directly from the company or get them through your local stang tuner. I have done both for my car and others. I never had a leak that bad i would make sure you didnt warp the block, i tried getting away with just cutting the head too and it turned out the block was warped where it blew out.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Wow, sounds familair. I had 1011-2's on my car when I first swapped on the heads (blown 5.0 days) and after 8-9 months it just pissed coolant out all over my oil filter. Tore it apart and all of the fire rings were intact, never popped a headgasket but the gasket material just disintigrated around the coolant passage in that raer. Worn away by the look of it, that was enough to allow coolant to pour out between the head/block seam.

This was 4-5 years ago now and at the time there were a few others who experienced the same thing.

I swapped in some Graphite composed gaskets (8548pt2, 9333-1, FRPP B-50 are all this type) and never had another head gasket probelm until I did something stupid to lose one.

I do not like the 1011 series Fel-Pros, overpriced and I don't think they are that good of a gasket at all. The stock replacement 8548pt2 and 9333-1 are half the cost and work much better IMHO.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,739 Posts
You may be on to something here with the 1011s just not being as high quality as we may think. I've never had any head gasket problems before, just with the 1011-2s... this is the 2nd time.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your input guys..I think im gonna try a set of the 9333pts..

Jeff

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I didn't want any troubles, so I just O-ringed my block with the Isky tool and used a standard 8548 pt2 gasket. I've had too many problems before. Now I can use a cheap set of gaskets any time I want to change heads.

You can rent the tool directly from Iskendarian for $65.00. You have to buy it first at full price and return it when your done.

Pic of O-ring in process:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts