Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK . . . .I was "planning" on getting the Hooker LT Headers that SHM is advertising for sale for 96+ Cobra's!! However, I have called Holley and SHM and it will be at least 2 months before they are available!!! :(

My question for you guys is how superior really are LT's over Shorties?? I mean Pros and Cons . . .what do you guys think??

What I can think of Shorties allow for tranny swaps VERY easily(I will need one soon), there are more intermediate pipes available out there than for LT's and the gains I believe are pretty similar if you get the right shorty header!! Am I correct in these statements?? Am I missing things?? I just want to know if you guys think I should wait for these LT's to be available or just get the JBA 1 5/8 shorty headers like Bob runs???

Any input will be much appreciated!! Thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
On a SOHC, shorties give about 3.7rwhp and long tubes give about 15+.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK . .where did you get those numbers? Not saying that's not true just curious!! :)

I do not that according to JBA's website they said Bob Cosby got 17rwhp and 12rwhp torque or something like that from their headers!! :)

Anyway, thanks for the reply and keep'em coming guys!!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Attached is a link to my homepage. if you look at the "my cobra" link, you will see the dyno-proven results of all my mods (including the LT / X pipe) horsepower & torque.

what i was really impressed with was the torque gain.

Eastside Racing

·
Registered
470 Posts
BlackDemonGT said:
OK . .where did you get those numbers? Not saying that's not true just curious!! :)
Anyway, thanks for the reply and keep'em coming guys!!!
Here's a link for shorties=3.7rwhp gain on a N/A SOHC:
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/aptitudetest.html
Read thru the interesting article. I've also seen other posts w/dyno results similar.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I do not that according to JBA's website they said Bob Cosby got 17rwhp and 12rwhp torque or something like that from their headers!! :)
[/QUOTE]

You don't get the most out of the 1 5/8" JBA headers unless you rev high. That's why Bob Cosby got more out of them on his Cobra then you will on a GT. The 1 1/2" headers give you more midrange grunt though less top end, so they may be better for a GT.

I recently looked at Cosby's dyno and he got roughly +10 HP and +10 TQ throughout the RPM range on his JBA 1 5/8" shorty headers. A little more at some RPM, a little less at others, but nowhere was it less than stock and overall it was about +10. That's also what JBA says you'll get out of them on a Cobra, so they seem like a reputable company, as most other companies exaggerate the dyno gains of their products.

The long tubes will always give you more than shorties. My engineer's mind guesses that this is because they are equal length. Due to geometry / space constraints of making a pure bolt-on replacement for the stock exhaust manifold, the shorties do not have equal length tubes for each cylinder.

So the difference is, long tubes give you more but are a pain to install, and you MIGHT not pass smog. Shorties don't give you as much, but are a bit easier to install and you will still pass smog. Also the JBA shorties are CARB approved, which you don't care about unless you live in California.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys thanks for the replies and here is what I have decided:

LT's DO give more power over shorties, however, get in the way of other installs causing price to increase on installation!! That fact combined with only 3 brands of LT's are available and the ones I want won't be released for 2 months I have decided to go with shorties!! :)

I just purchased a set of Jet Black JBA 1 5/8 headers for $700 to my door!!! I will be combining these with a Magnaflow X w/o cats and sticking with my stock catback for now!! I know I won't be getting maximum power since I went with shorties, however, I will make enough to get me to where I want to be in the end!!

Thanks for all your replies guys and I will post dyno numbers as soon as I get the exhaust parts in!!

By the way, in case people thought I had a GT based on my name I don't - I have an 01 Cobra so I bought the right header just like Bob!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts