Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 gt 4.6 Stock motor. Bolt ons with a dyno tune. Gears and converter and long tubes.
Currently just bracket race the car average 12.7x with 1.65 60 ft.

My question is would I see any benefit by running headers uncapped other then weight reduction? Currently running mac long tubes and pro chamber into some jones single chamber mufflers

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J326AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am not sure how noticeable it would be. But I am always a fun of at the track back to back test results. If you have the ability to do so yank the exhaust at the headers and make some passes and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure how noticeable it would be. But I am always a fun of at the track back to back test results. If you have the ability to do so yank the exhaust at the headers and make some passes and see if there is a difference.
That will probably be the route I go unless I find someone with first hand experience.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I’ve done the experiment at the track. 03 Mach 4V in a 99 chassis, NA, stock motor except for intake work. Kooks LT’s with the Kooks X, dumps welded onto the end of the X. No cats or muffs. Collector.......X. ET just a couple hun better with the X on vs open headers. The X with the dumps as a unit probly weighs 25-30 lbs, so tough to see that in ET, but I did see a more significant difference in trap speed. Close to a mph pretty consistently, which would indicate car made more power with the X, especially at 6000-6800 rpms. And sounds awesome. Open headers on that 281 cu in. 4V kinda sound like axx.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve done the experiment at the track. 03 Mach 4V in a 99 chassis, NA, stock motor except for intake work. Kooks LT’s with the Kooks X, dumps welded onto the end of the X. No cats or muffs. Collector.......X. ET just a couple hun better with the X on vs open headers. The X with the dumps as a unit probly weighs 25-30 lbs, so tough to see that in ET, but I did see a more significant difference in trap speed. Close to a mph pretty consistently, which would indicate car made more power with the X, especially at 6000-6800 rpms. And sounds awesome. Open headers on that 281 cu in. 4V kinda sound like axx.
Thanks I'm kinda leaning towards leaving them on until I get some motor work done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
X2, but with a completely different car...

My 69' fastback with a 351, long tubes, 3" X pipe with full exhaust was 1 tenth quicker in the 1/8 using the X pipe, vs. cutouts before the X.

I never tried cutouts after the X, but cutouts before the X definitely was slower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts