Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey how's it goin fellow stangers? I'm trying to piece together a head swap kit and I need to know if I'm missing anything. This is what I've got:

-Complete PI heads w/cams
-Upper/Lower intake manifold
-Ford Racing head changing kit
-Heater hoser
-Intake Gaskets

WHAT'S MISSING, IF ANYTHING....thanks a lot for your help....

Chingus

·
Registered
498 Posts
hey Phatdoggy, i am planning on doing the headswap on my car soon. any tips you can offer? i was reading the timing thing that you made, and it is a little foggy for a, more so inexperienced engine builder like me.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Iceman_19 said:
any tips you can offer?
Just have a few manuals on hand, one of which should be a Ford manual from here, and give yourself twice as much time as you think it will take. Have another set of hands to help, and don't rush it. All basic stuff, but the job isn't that hard as long as you pay attention. And if you have questions, by all means...ask. :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Chingus said:
The heads are out of a 2000. Will I need new valve covers?
Yup, you sure do. Those PI heads you have are Windsor heads, so your valve coves from your Romeo heads will not work, the bolt pattern is different. Also, you will need different bolts/studs for the front cover where is bolts to the heads, the Windsor holes are bigger (10mm I believe). Yea, it is a bit more of a pain with Windsor heads, my PI heads are '00 too. Good luck.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well, my situation is a bit differernt, but I rather not get into it. Try to search and find a thread about headswap dyno numbers, someone had a list going. What year is your car? If it is a 96-98GT, then no doubt it is worth it, guys have had great results of 60+rwhp. Good luck.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it's a 97. I was really happy with the car for a while. But then, I started really getting into upgrading and realized that it wasn't the best motor to work on. Anyways, I've got a decent source to get FMS parts from. So let me get this right before I start ordering parts. I need:

-new valve covers
-new bolts for the front cover????????

·
Registered
96 Posts
Chingus said:
Would I be better off selling these heads and buying Romeo ones? What year(s) did they use the romeo ones? 01-03? Thanks...
I have an '03 Ford Racing Parts Catalog and Ford is now offering FRPP PI cylinder heads with valvetrain and cam sprocket for $395 (Part Number M-6049-P46 right head & M-6050-P46 left head) and there is no mention of a core charge. If you want to get '03 Romeo heads, you can get them for a similar price, but recently Ford added a $150 core charge per head - and you can't return the non PI heads for credit.

There is no reason to sell the Windsor heads. Get the new front cover bolts and cam covers. They aren't too expensive and are certainly cheaper than selling your heads and buying new ones.

Now the PI intake manifold will fit all PI heads, Windsor or Romeo. The trick with the intake is to get a newer style one ('02 or newer, I believe) that has the aluminum crossover in the front. This crossover can be tapped to accept the second coolant temp sensor (one sensor is for the EEC, one is for the gauge cluster). If you do not have an intake with the crossover, you must find another way to get the sensor into coolant. Some have plumbed it inline with a heater hose, some have tapped the thermostat housing and threaded it into there.

I don't know what you mean by upper intake - if you mean the plenum just upstream of the throttle body, you can reuse that. It will bolt right to the new lower intake.

I must be missing something as to why the head changing kit will not work on the Windsor heads. It has the head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, head bolts and dipstick tube. What won't work with the Windsor heads?

Some other parts to consider getting before you start:
new gaskets for the new cam covers
new gaskets for the front cover
front cover crank seal
new style alternator bracket

I wrote a lengthy article after I did the headswap. It has step-by-step instructions (for my T-Bird) and a part list plus some helpful hints. A link to my webpage is in my signature.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok if you have a 2002+ intake you'll need ford part #2L2Z-6A664-BAA. It's a connector hose assembly. You will also need a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and some 3/8s tubing for the vacuum hose in the back. You'll notice when you compare the upper intake on your car and the 2002 that the metal tube coming out of the front and the rear are larger in diameter. I have no idea why ford decided to change this in 2002 but I had to find this out on my own grrrrrrr. Even the ford parts guy was surprised it was changed.

I happen to have an extra one of this part because I ordered one then found out that another dealership had it in stock. This part is brand new with stickers still on. I need to get rid of this and will let it go for less than I paid for it. I'll also include 3/8 tubing you'll need (no adapter). PM me if you interested.

To tap the aluminum crossover for the second temp sensor we used a 9/16 drill bit and a 3/8 NPT tap.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey SCOTTINHAWAII!!! I PM'd you. Also, Red98Stang said that my FMS head change kit wouldn't work on these heads? Is he right? If so, how do I know what gaskets and bolt to get? Thanks a lot....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts