Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this was questioned in several other threads, and I finally decided to check mine the best I could. I'm running AFR 165's and a performer rpm. The only 2 runners checkable appear to be cyl 2 and 3. This is using a mirror and a flashlight. I couldn't see the bottom, but what I could see is about 1/8" of the head at the top. It would appear that the intake needs to be machined a bit to line up. The sides are also very difficult to see. But here's my concern.

The way I understand it, there's gonna be a bit more air flowing against the bottom of the runners at the heads, so is this really hurting me enough to cause my piss poor numbers listed below. I know there's something that isn't right somewhere in my combo.

I'm gonna swap to a vic jr. eventually, and I've also heard that these generally need some machining to perfectly line up. I mean I'll grind on the intake, but not the heads. What do ya'll pros think?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
First, most airflow is on the roof of the port. After port matching the intake try to fit it, and see how it lines up. I always apply some sealer to the head, and let it dry to hold the gasket on. Then set the intake on, and look to see what it looks like. I also look down the ports as I torque down the intake. That way I can torque down the side that sits the highest, once lined up, I goto the staggered torqueing.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're corrrect in saying most airflow is at the roof entering the head, then the intake needs to be machined. Believe me the gasket was "fiinessed" to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
The AFR head intake runners do have a bias in that they do not align on the center of the Ford Cobra lower intake runner for example. Flow is normally offset to the intake roof also.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm using AFR 185s and an Edelbrock Performer RPM. I had the same problem when putting the engine together. I did a little minor grinding on the lower intake, but still had to have it machined. It fit just fine afterwards.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think it was about .080" on the sides, and whatever will level that out on the bottom (so the intake isn't interfering with the block). We put it together with the gasket on it first and used a bent hangar to scribe lines in the intake to see how far it was off, then did a little grinding and measuring. We came up with what we thought would get it in the right position on the sides (how much it would have to be lowered), and used the angle of the head/intake surface to calculate how much would need to be milled from the sides and the bottom.

I'll try to find out what the exact numbers were, but I don't know if we recorded them or not. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, .080" seems like a lot. I'm really wondering if that is a big problem. I guess I need to find someone who does machining. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts